Help building a single speeder...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

B-B-BikeyStrike!

Hi,

I got a cheapish Kona mountain bike frame which I want to build up as a Single Speeder. I think it'd make a nice London run-about, and I'd be much happier locking it up whilst at t'pub then my road bike.

But as I'm on a tight budget, I'm struggling to find half decent wheels. eBay wheels tend to be a bit overpriced, and i'm not sure where to find cheapie shops on the internet.

Any advice? I can put the cog on myself, but I'm struggling to find the hardware. Anyone got a spare 26" rear wheel knocking about?

OP
OP
B-B-BikeyStrike!

B-B-BikeyStrike!

This looks good:
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mount...wheels/pair-deore-hubs-on-mach-1-mx-rims.html

Is it an overkill you reckon? MAch 1 rims on Deore?

battered

Guru
£60 the pair! Buy those babies, now!

I built a SS from a Kona ally frame, circa 2000. It's turned into a lovely bike. The only snag is that I had it blasted and powder coated, and dropped on some lovely kit from a bike I had bought in the worng size, so now it looks and rides a million dollars and now I daren't park it in town.

Is it a steel Kona with Project forks? (Drool...)

g00se

Veteran
One thing to check is what sort of dropout you have on the rear (ideally, horizontal). If it's vertical, you'll need some way to tension the chain.

battered

Guru
Most 90s Konas are vertical dropout so you need a sprung tensioner which is a chore. Effective though. Pre 90s they had diagonal dropouts which will give you tensioning room.

If you're in That London get a decent lock. Actually, get 2. Singlies are sadly very fashionable and easy to sell.

Top Bottom