Help buying road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlueBird

Hi everyone!

I wanted to buy a road bike. I'm not sure what to get. I wanted something light probably carbon fiber. Planning on doing 60k on it. Any suggestions? It will be my first ever road bike.

Many thanks in advance.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What do you have in mind? Which brands take your fancy?
Have you checked your local bike shop to see what they have in stock?

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

My budget is around 2000.... I haven't checked my local bike shop because I don't have one. I'm overseas at the moment and was planning on ordering something online.

I don't have much experience with bike brands.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My budget is around 2000.... I haven't checked my local bike shop because I don't have one. I'm overseas at the moment and was planning on ordering something online.

You asked the exact same question back in May , Genesis and Cannondales were mentioned.
Well that's a start.

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

You asked the exact same question back in May , Genesis and Cannondales were mentioned.
Well that's a start.

Yes, but my requirements have changed. Back then I wanted something that could also have space to carry items and can be used for commuting. Now that I'm not commuting via bike and just looking to do long rides with a bike club I thought maybe something lighter/faster?

vickster

Legendary Member

GBP, EUR, USD?

Are you male or female, how tall are you? Some sizes may be easier to get than others.
If new to roadbikes, I wouldn't buy online without even sitting on a couple

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes, but my requirements have changed. Back then I wanted something that could also have space to carry items and can be used for commuting. Now that I'm not commuting via bike and just looking to do long rides with a bike club I thought maybe something lighter/faster?

Both Genesis and Cannondale make very decent road bikes that fit in with your budget.

OP
OP
B

BlueBird

GBP, EUR, USD?

Are you male or female, how tall are you? Some sizes may be easier to get than others.
If new to roadbikes, I wouldn't buy online without even sitting on a couple

Thanks for helping. I'm a female around 160cm. My budget is 2000 GBP.

vickster

Legendary Member
That’s a good shout, nice looking bike. I stopped off at pie & cake shop next to my LBS yesterday after lakes hike and bobbed in. Had a few Caads and looked really nice.

Sharky

Guru
£2,000 is a pretty high price point for a first road bike. At this price, the bikes are going to be aiming for niche markets (Gravel, Road, Competition, touring, commuting, fat tyres, skinny tyres, high gearing, low gearing, relaxed geometry. racing geometry etc). You've got to be clear in you mind as to what the real need is.

Rides of 60k (40 miles) can be done on any bike and it might be better in the long term to go for a much cheaper bike initially, then go for a better bike in the summer when you are sure on size and usage.

Good luck

Top Bottom