Help choosing a first bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lailaps

Choosing a bike.I'm a compelte novice looking to become an experienced cycling amateur, i love watching it, i have friends that do it (both road and mountain biking although they all seem to prefer the mountain biking), and i'm feeling left out, first thing that would be useful is a bike, lol.
I like in road biking territory (warwickshire) but i think a mountain bike would be better for me as i'm a country bumpkin at heart and would enjoy going off road...however, i expect most of the time i'll be on road as i also need it to get to and from work on my bike, but i still think i'm maknig the right decision yes? Or no?

I don't want something terrible from argos or halfords. What are the brands/makes to look at?
I have about 300 to spend, is that figure too low for anything decent? Would i get something better second hand or an ex-test bike or something like that?
Do i NEED a womans specific, i really don't want something pink with butterfly motifs, very not me, however i am minuet, so would that restrict my search?

£300 will get you a perfectly good bike from companies like Giant, Trek, Specialized, Kona. You don't need a wimmin's specific bike but you may wan't to negotiate a wimmin's specific saddle swap to suit your wimmin's specific bum. I'd be inclined towards a rigid hardtail (ie no suspension) if it were my £300.

PS the company I work for has a few brand new 2007 Kona Smokes for sale in 14" and 16" frame sizes. PM me if you are interested.

shimano

Lailaps - take your time and read up on here and then visit as many bike shops as you can. Sit on the ones you like and sometimes, if you take photo ID (passport etc), a good shop will let you have a go. Don't buy the first one you see and (IMHO) sleep on your decision - your 'sit bones' will thank you in the long term...:smile::biggrin:

shimano said:
Lailaps - take your time and read up on here and then visit as many bike shops as you can. Sit on the ones you like and sometimes, if you take photo ID (passport etc), a good shop will let you have a go. Don't buy the first one you see and (IMHO) sleep on your decision - your 'sit bones' will thank you in the long term...:smile::biggrin:

Seconded.

And why some bike shops don't allow test rides (given security), I will never understand.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Welcome Lailaps !

For some good background info on the bike choice available today, have a look at:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3788
http://www.whycycle.co.uk/index.php

Thirded ! - though I know taking your time can be very difficult. :sad:

Re: women specific bikes. It's not about pink butterflies. Women have longer legs and shorter torsos than men, generally. Sometimes this means that they need a bike with different geometry to a men's bike.

Take your time, test-ride, check it out, don't rush in. Borrow other people's bikes, ask around, find out where the good shops are, take someone who knows bikes with you.

Enjoy yourself!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
£300 will also get you a Subway 2 from Halfords, or £200 for a Subway 1 plus a load of accessories.
Both are very good bikes that have had some very good reviews.

Twenty Inch said:
Re: women specific bikes. It's not about pink butterflies. Women have longer legs and shorter torsos than men, generally. Sometimes this means that they need a bike with different geometry to a men's bike.

Take your time, test-ride, check it out, don't rush in. Borrow other people's bikes, ask around, find out where the good shops are, take someone who knows bikes with you.

Enjoy yourself!!

I've encountered very few women who wouldn't fit perfectly well on a standard frame, less than a handful in twentysome years of selling bikes. This whole women's specific thing is a cynical marketing exercise but probably fuelled by years of poor fittings by lazy or ignorant cycle salesmen. As soon as one brand launched a womens frame programme I imagine they all felt they had to jump on the bandwagon.

Appropriate saddles, adequate frame sizing skills, brake lever reach adjustment, occasional stem and/or bar swaps. It's not rocket science.

Top Bottom