Help! Cycling from Paris to Rodez, France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nicolas_H

I am planning on cycling from Paris down to Rodez towards the south of France over 2 weeks with 2 friends. However we have no experience with any sort of this thing so any ADVICE would be greatly appreciated.

We are all fit and do sports of some sorts. I commute by cycling every day but the other two do not usually cycle a whole lot. We are planning on cycling 4 hours a day to cover (660 km according to google maps).

We have no idea however of the cycle routes in France or if it's even safe to use the roads there. Any suggestions on places to stop at would be great too! We will be camping most days but may have a few rest days in hostels when we decide on which towns to stop at.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have a read here.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Map.me fantastic downloadable maps.

626km via N7 on a quick scan. However you may have many cycle routes you can combine on your trip down. Check out and see if you can utilise any of the Eurovelo routes or the green cycle routes through France.

Dont forget your gear is going to slow your journey down if you are not used to being a pack horse. The touring section here is full of advice by some very well seasoned tourers whose advice can really help your journey.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
N

Nicolas_H

Thanks for the help!

Does anyone know how to find where these 5€ campsites are before we leave? I want to be prepared!

OP
OP
N

Nicolas_H

Also will I need to bring any bike repair tools/ equipment? We don't know how to do any of that sort of thing.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Have you considered doing a long weekend away in this country first ? That way you will get an idea of what cycling with all the gear actually feels like as you may be surprised. Also it gives you a chance to tweek things on home ground rather than try to do it when things go wrong and nobody speaks English.

When you arrive in the town you want to stay in head straight for the tourist office or the Marie ( mayors office ) they can advise you of where to stay.

OP
OP
N

Nicolas_H

Have you considered doing a long weekend away in this country first ? That way you will get an idea of what cycling with all the gear actually feels like as you may be surprised. Also it gives you a chance to tweek things on home ground rather than try to do it when things go wrong and nobody speaks English.

When you arrive in the town you want to stay in head straight for the tourist office or the Marie ( mayors office ) they can advise you of where to stay.

Thank you, this is very helpful! We have decided to spend a night in Ireland cycling around just to see our average speed, and what its all like as you said!

Also thanks to everyone else. You've all given much needed advice!

We've just bought a repair kit and are about to map out our route exactly (every road)!

Top Bottom