Help Dating a Canadian Raleigh Grand Prix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bethany

My beloved Raleigh Grand Prix has been stolen. It was purchased in Canada in the mid 1980s, and the bike shop called it a 12-speed. It was a pearlescent white with just a tinge of blue, and I believe they called the color something like "winter white." It came with black cloth handlebar tape and a black leather or vinyl seat with crosshatching on the top.

I searched online and could only find this one VERY beaten-up example on eBay Canada.

Can anyone tell me the the year of manufacture and anything more about it?

I don't even know the size. It was a men's, but a small men's. I'm a long-legged 5'5", and with the seat all the way down and tilted forward the whole way, I could just slide up onto the saddle with my toes touching the ground.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Attachments

• Raleigh Grand Prix 2.jpg
    Raleigh Grand Prix 2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Raleigh Grand Prix 3.jpg
    Raleigh Grand Prix 3.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Raleigh Grand Prix 4.jpg
    Raleigh Grand Prix 4.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Raleigh Grand Prix 6.jpg
    Raleigh Grand Prix 6.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Raleigh Grand Prix 8.jpg
    Raleigh Grand Prix 8.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 11

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thought of @Reynard when I saw the title, but then got the words in the right order, and realised that she might not be any help at all.

Sorry - can't be much help, other than to confirm that 12 speeds started to come into fashion in the late '80s. By the early 90s, aluminium was starting to dominate the serious bike market. Bikes of that age were quickly superseded by newer materials and designs, so didn't stay in fashion for very long.

Usually the frame number, stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket, will give some hints on date of manufacture.

Thought of @Reynard when I saw the title, but then got the words in the right order, and realised that she might not be any help at all.

Sorry - can't be much help, other than to confirm that 12 speeds started to come into fashion in the late '80s. By the early 90s, aluminium was starting to dominate the serious bike market. Bikes of that age were quickly superseded by newer materials and designs, so didn't stay in fashion for very long.

Usually the frame number, stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket, will give some hints on date of manufacture.

Wrong kind of Canadian Grand Prix, me old bean :laugh:

But yeah, late 80s / early 90s looks about right. I'd consult Mr Google, as there are databases with Raleigh info lurking around online. I do seem to remember that they tended to slap a load of different names onto the same frameset depending on the quality of the components that were fitted.

Drago

Legendary Member
Suntour VX dates it to 1977 - 1982ish. That style of VX ceased in 1982 and was replaced by the VX GT with a different cage, but stock may well have sat on the shelf long enough to be on new bikes for another year or so after that.

Going with the style of the decals I would suggest the latter part of that range will be when it was born, possibly 1981 looking at that dedal style on other Raleigh products.

There may well be date codes on the rear of the calipers or cranks if the seller is willing to look for you.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you're looking to replace it there are plenty more Raleighs around that age with much better specs and gear.
I'd rather go for something built with 531 or 501 rather than the gas piping on display. Plus anything would be better than those 'suicide lever' brakes. Perhaps it's a nostalgia trip?

By the way :welcome: to the forum.

dihummer

Regular
My beloved Raleigh Grand Prix has been stolen. It was purchased in Canada in the mid 1980s, and the bike shop called it a 12-speed. It was a pearlescent white with just a tinge of blue, and I believe they called the color something like "winter white." It came with black cloth handlebar tape and a black leather or vinyl seat with crosshatching on the top.

I searched online and could only find this one VERY beaten-up example on eBay Canada.

Can anyone tell me the the year of manufacture and anything more about it?
I have seen a Grand Prix with the exact same decals and colour. The serial number was on the back of the seat post and started with RN1.

R = manufactured by Raleigh Canada.
N = October month of manufacture.
1 = 1981 year of manufacture.

In 1983 the seat stay on the Grand Prix was changed from the previous wrap-around style.

Top Bottom