Help decide on a helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hairykopite

Hi it looks like im gonna start cycling to work everyday so will need a helmet, the problem is there are about a million choices couuld you guys help with some ideas. ideally not too garish and between £20 and £40 really i was gonna look on ebay but wouldnt know where to start so any help welcome.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to your local bike shop and buy one that fits. Helmet buying is a dark art. You may spend a couple of quid more but you won't be buying twice :smile:

For what it's worth, if I had your budget, I would probably look at a Giro indicator or Specialized Align

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/align-helmet-2013-ec041668

I have an Indicator and the more expensive Specialized Echelon hence my recos

Canrider

Guru
My advice (as elsewhere), is to go into more than one local bike shop and ask their advice, and to try on a few for fit.

Chris Norton

Go in a shop and try some. Take a note of model that you like and suits your head THEN hit the internet. Personally I'd buy from the shop and not worry about saving a couple of quid.

Nothing wrong with Halfords. Nice range of Giro helmets to try on.

eevvee

Hi it looks like im gonna start cycling to work everyday so will need a helmet, the problem is there are about a million choices couuld you guys help with some ideas. ideally not too garish and between £20 and £40 really i was gonna look on ebay but wouldnt know where to start so any help welcome.
December last year I bought a new to me Boardman Hybrid and Boardman helmet. The helmet new is £50.

Last month I bought. £9.99 Helmet in Lidl, for use with a Ridgeback Platinum 2011 again new to me, and although it is a close run thing I would say the Lidl helmet is as comfortable or more so than the Boardman.

If you have a Lidl close by and they have helmets in stock give it a try.

vickster

Legendary Member
The advantage of the Specialized helmets is they also meet the SNELL standard unlike most UK helmets, if that sort of thing is important for you

As above the Snell standard is the toughest to pass and stresses the design far further than the pathetic EN1078

If you have decided to use a helmet, then get the toughest

However equally important is that it fits and feel as comfortable as you can manage otherwise you won't wear it

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Fit is the most important thing. It's no good if the helmet rolls off or your head bounces in the helmet. You can only get the feel of something in the shop.
I don't regret spending a lot of money on my helmet. In my recent crash that broke my collar bone, I distinctly remember my head hitting the ground. The helmet did it's job well and I had no head injuries at all. It would have been a very different story had I not worn a good, well fitting lid!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Go to your local bike shop and buy one that fits. Helmet buying is a dark art. You may spend a couple of quid more but you won't be buying twice :smile:

For what it's worth, if I had your budget, I would probably look at a Giro indicator or Specialized Align

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/align-helmet-2013-ec041668

I have an Indicator and the more expensive Specialized Echelon hence my recos

I have the Specialized Align, fits really well and is comfortable, I would advise also getting a skull cap to wear underneath it, protects your ears from the straps and reduces the wind noise as well as keeping your head warm.

FreeFlow Bikes

For helmets you really need to try them on. Sizes vary between brands and even models within brands. A medium in a Giro helmet may be different to a medium in a Met.

Giro I'm sure like others offer a crash replacement where if you were to damage the helmet in a crash, you be able to buy a new one at a reduced rate. Worth checking which brands offer this, not that I'm suggesting you're going to crash.

Top Bottom