help deciding between two bikes..please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mbike

Hi this is my first post. Thankyou for having me. I'm in need of a bike for commutes to do errands, and maybe a round the clock trip of 30 miles on a few occasions.

my budget is a measly £150. So I'm looking for sales and second hand bikes.

I've come across these two bikes

ENTURA HYBRID ALUMINIUM BIKE.26

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/111940107/cycle.html

Dawes Horizon Unisex Aluminium Hybrid Road Bike

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...orizon-unisex-aluminium-hybrid-road-bike.html

I almost went for the Dawes for £95 but I coudn't find anything at all about the bike..unsual? and also I thought the frame looked like a girls bike because its so low. The Ventura I'm hoping to get for £100 but the owner needs to get back to me. If there was a choice between these two bikes which is the better deal? I'm also interested in speed, the ventura has a weight of (quoted) 13.5 kg.

I would really appreciate some advice from knowledgeable bike enthusiasts and if you know of any offers on at the moment that would really help me out. Thankyou for reading this.

EDIT: forget to mention I'm 5 7, I don;t know my leg size though, I've heard 16 inch frame would suit me but I can adjust an 18 inch to accommodate me

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Hi,
The Dawes Horizon is actually a drop bar touring bike so this looks like its been converted to a flat bar, not a bad thing if thats what your looking for. Ive owned 2 of them, one being the same frame as this one and can say they are one of the best bikes ive ever owned. It still looks as though is got all the standed parts on minus the bars, mudguards and pannier rack. The frame looks a little small but all you can do is go and try it out (if its local to you).

As for the ventura ive never been on one but the parts dont look as good so id choose the dawes over it.

Hope that helps :smile:

OP
OP
M

Mbike

Thankyou so much Jamieyorky!!! I was worried that becuase the owner called the bike "unisex", the frame might be comprised. In your opinion is it worth £95? also how much does it weigh? I think I might go for it

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Thankyou so much Jamieyorky!!! I was worried that becuase the owner called the bike "unisex", the frame might be comprised. In your opinion is it worth £95? also how much does it weigh? I think I might go for it

If it fits you right and is the type of bike you are looking for then id go for the dawes over the other one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mbike

thanks cyberknight
one last question before I decide to purchase the Dawes, is the frame a girls frame? it seems quite low to me, will that affect performance? is it considered a speedy bike? I'm after a lightish bike.

heres more information on the venture
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ventura-700c-hybrid-men-s-bike-for-149-99-argos-1611567
•Green alloy frame.
•18 gears with Shimano shifters.
•Shimano gears.
•Shimano TZ-50 rear derailleur.
•Front V-type and rear V-type brakes.
•Steel forks.
•Weight fully assembled 13.5kg.
•45.7cm / 18 inch frame size.
•73cm / 29 inch wheel size.
•Suitable for 74 to 95cm (20.1 to 37.4 inch) inside leg measurements.
•Suitable for ages 13 years and over.
•Adjustable seat height.
•Quick-release seat.

are the parts on Dawes really better? sorry for all the question I'm a real newb, after this I'll decide thankyou so much for your help Jamieyorky

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer

I wouldn't worry about the unisex designation - it probably just means the advertiser is trying not to limit his market.

In any case, male or female, we're all individuals, all different shapes and sizes, so the only way to find out if a particular bike suits your unique proportions is to sit on it...

I wouldn't worry about weight too much either. It'll be a similar weight to the other bike, maybe even slightly lighter, but it won't make much difference in practical terms.

Looks like the Dawes has gone now though. Hope it was you who got it. If not, never mind, there may well be something similar along soon.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
L
I wouldn't worry about the unisex designation - it probably just means the advertiser is trying not to limit his market.

In any case, male or female, we're all individuals, all different shapes and sizes, so the only way to find out if a particular bike suits your unique proportions is to sit on it...

I wouldn't worry about weight too much either. It'll be a similar weight to the other bike, maybe even slightly lighter, but it won't make much difference in practical terms.

Looks like the Dawes has gone now though. Hope it was you who got it. If not, never mind, there may well be something similar along soon.
If you did go for the other bike, try to haggle the price down a bit. Offer £70 for it, see what the seller says.

I think your spot on ! :okay:

Top Bottom