Help! first time buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
i am basing my value on what i would try and buy the bike for , if others feel its worth more then that is there decision as it's 6 years old hardly a classic bike so it's only worth what some body will pay for it and in my mind sub £200 is about right and then the buyer has some cash left over to get it all working happily
But you’re presumably looking to sell on at a profit ;)

vickster

Legendary Member

OP
OP
goodgabba

goodgabba

Hey guys i found the gumtree advert for the bike i'm looking at (the actual bike). Can you have a look and tell me what you think?
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/boardman-cx-team-cyclocross-commuter-bike/1281101505

$_86.jpg

$_86.jpg

$_86.jpg

$_86.jpg
$_86.jpg
$_86.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Really can't tell much from those pics. The chainwheel is certainly rather worn, so likely the chain is too, maybe also the,cassette. Somebody has already upgraded the brakes to Spyres. Ride it, if it feels OK and the gears shift make an offer.

woodbutcher

Veteran
i am basing my value on what i would try and buy the bike for , if others feel its worth more then that is there decision as it's 6 years old hardly a classic bike so it's only worth what some body will pay for it and in my mind sub £200 is about right and then the buyer has some cash left over to get it all working happily
I think l said somewhere else that a bike or anything else for that matter is "worth" what someone will pay for it. In other words price is subjective and if you "feel" it is good value then it is good value ....to you !

Tangoup51

But the OP was asking what price you think he should pay for it, not what price you would offer if you was buying it for yourself & your own needs. After all he's not looking to merch the bike for a profit after rebuilding it, but probably looking at riding it into the ground. :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
To be honest the main reason is the size an davailability. As with mountain bikes it's rare to see a small sized bike for sale (and locally too). The seller has said he's upgraded the discs and brakes (caliper is the TRP Spyrest, not sure of the disc).
Tangoup51 what would you say i should be paying for it?

You definately get a tax on small frames. I found that when I bought my road bike. Medium and large were significantly cheaper for better spec bikes.

OP
OP
goodgabba

goodgabba

You definately get a tax on small frames. I found that when I bought my road bike. Medium and large were significantly cheaper for better spec bikes.
I'm' relieved to see someone else notice this! I've searched local ads/ebay/gumtree and they are very rare it seems. I'm seeing it tonight so if it's good condition and rides okay (i'm allowed to test-ride it he says) then i'll likely make an offer.

£300 is a fair max price. Any less is better.
I'm now thinking along those lines. upper maximum of £300

Tangoup51

Top Bottom