Help - Galaxy or Super Galaxy? 70's or not 70's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cornsack

Hi all,

First post here.

Picked up this stunning Dawes bike almost a year ago from a local ad at what for what now feel was a fantastic price.

Absolutely love it. It's a genuine joy to ride. I am certainly no expert on bikes or bike mechanics but I absolutely love it. I'm now dying with curiosity to confirm exactly which model it is and how old it really is. I heard something about a lot of dawes records being lost in a fire a long time ago so it's not always as simple as looking back at a record.

I had new cassette, crank etc. fitted about 6 months ago and the co-owner at the shop felt pretty sure it was 1970s, possibly mid-70s. Him and shop focus mainly on mtb rather than road bikes but he was really excited by the bike, in particular he said something about the joining/welding near the forks and how it involved a real skill that has almost died out now.

I've attached a few pictures including of the brakes (weinmann centre-pulls) and the forks, badge, etc, if anybody has any suggestions on the model and/or the age I would be ever so grateful.

IMG_20190225_103245.jpg
IMG_20190225_103327.jpg
IMG_20190225_103336.jpg
IMG_20190225_103400.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Back in those days i think a Galaxy was a Galaxy
If you check the hubs and or brake calipers they will have a build date code on them and that will help you to put a date on it

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Nice bike. Certainly from the seventies according to the head badge and the model probably ran over a few years. This one is supposedly from 1977 and looks very similar to yours:

454c9369e9_md.jpeg

http://velobase.com/ListHeadBadges.aspx?BrandView=99d4df7f-ab2a-4f33-8e95-029679edad78

A more accurate date can be had from the components as said. It would certainly would be 531 but there is no decal which is odd, could have helped with dating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cornsack

cornsack

Thanks for all of your replies, that's great!

Piecing all the different bits of advice together sounds like it's some time 1972-1975. So potentially 20 years older than me!

Its been interesting learning the history of Dawes bikes from 50s onwards. Channeling my inner-geek. Sounds like they peaked early 70s before a bunch of buy-outs

Hi and :welcome:

If you look at the backs of the brake calipers you should be able to see some numbers indicating the year.
Dawes started production of the Galaxy in 1963 /64.
You have a nice looking bike .

Is there a bend in the forks, impact damage. Or is it down to the picture?

That query often comes up in photographs of old steel bikes. It is virtually always due to the angle of the picture of curved forks.

Compare it with the second bike pictured.

Different angle photo of the fork. There's also a case for saying the angle makes it look as if the shape of forks is slightly out in the second photo.

I forget the thread but someone, a few months ago in a similar thread, came up with the technical reason for the impression of the forks being at different angles.

Top Bottom