Help! I am looking to buy a new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

Hi all

I want to buy a new bike or used.

I will be riding on mainly roads to places during weekdays and on weekends I am planning on doing long rides which will include road and flat/dirt trails maybe even some mountain trails.

I want something in a good relaxed geometry that I can ride all day. ( So I don't want dropped handle bars.)

I was thinking of a hybrid bike or a 29er mtb.

I don't want to spend a lot though. Maximum around £350 reason is I want to build up my fitness again before I buy a proper road bike.

If have any good suggestion please comment or link some bikes to see.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Cyclesurgery have a selection in their clearance with an extra 10% off. Might be worth a look?

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/c/sale/bikes/urban-bikes.html

Otherwise, try Decathlon

Or second hand

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Where in the country are you? I have a Dawes 501 hybrid that I bought new in June 2009. I rode it until January 2011. It's been entirely unused ever since. Stored inside until two years ago. I think I have two brand new wheels for it.

It's free to anybody who wants to pick it up from London W14.

At that price point I'd be looking at used. There are bargains to be had, and if you decide to sell and get something different, you won't make such a big loss.

For riding all day you really do want a handlebar setup that can offer different hand positions. That could be dropped bars, butterfly bars or flat bars with bar ends - these come in many shapes and sizes. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bar-ends/

Dropped bars and relaxed geometry that can be ridden all day are not mutually exclusive. There is a reason many cycle tourists and audax riders choose dropped bar configurations. Dropped bars does not necessarily mean a "head down @rse up" aggressive racer like riding position, the frame geometry and stem both influence the relative position of the pedals, saddle and bars, which is what bike fit is all about.

For all day rides, I'd recommend something with a rear rack to carry the bits and pieces you may need during the day. Lunch, tools, spare clothes etc.

For the mixed use indicated in your second sentence there is always going to be compromise as one bike won't do all well, however the penultimate sentence suggests the end game is a "proper road bike".

If I were you' I'd consider a used touring bike. Built strong to carry loads, with luggage and mudguard capability. There are lots of other solutions though, a 1980's steel mtb with rigid forks can be a good basis for a go anywhere bike.

The most important thing for all day riding is the bike must be a good fit.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I found this bike that I think would suit my needs...

https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?show=28310

What do you think? Worth the money ?

That's not a bad bike for the money at all

I think you will be changing those forks sooner or later though.

The brakes are OK for bog standard Shimano.

Chainset is OK too

I have no experience of the wheel-set though

This bike is probably cheap as it's a 9 speed triple (3x9) and everyone these days wants 2x10 or 1x11

Cubes are very good frames, hold their value fairly well and are well worth upgrading.

CXRAndy

Guru
I found this bike that I think would suit my needs...

https://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?show=28310

What do you think? Worth the money ?

Your initial post was riding on roads mostly, flat dirt trails, some mountain trails .

The bike you've highlighted is a hybrid more aimed at trail riding and mountain trails. This is because of the triple gearing and tyres. The on road is doable but will be slow with the tyres. Also the suspension is very poor, all cheap suspension bikes have low quality forks.

If most if your riding is road with a bit of trail. Then a gravel bike with flat bars, like the Boardman HYB 8.6. or Gravel bike with drop handlebar like Boardman ADV 8.9
Both are out of your budget. But these are possibly better types of bikes. Now the problem is finding a bike in your price range.- maybe used or last year model

OP
OP
L

Lauris

CXRAndy

Guru
Very similar in spec.

Top Bottom