Help...I buggered my chain!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...It was still making some horrible clicking noises when ridden and I thought I may as well try and shorten it after all...at least I'd learn how to split the thing etc....which I seem to have now done, however my chain is now way to short:sad::ohmy:

I eventually cracked the chain using my multitool cracker and a workshop table vice (which I am sure to have with me on tour right:biggrin:)...I then eventually fitted the powerlink....which clearly arnt as easy to fit as everybody elses...I must have bought the pain in the arse version.

I took out 3 links...I only wanted to take out 1 but ended up doing three and replacing the powerlink so thats 3-1=2 links shorter. The pedals turn and I can shift gears except to the biggest cog and the biggest chain wheel...well i can do that but man is the chain ever TIGHT.

...so I suppose it's back to a LBS with a deep wallet again...but befor I do so is there anything I can do myself?
I have a shimano 9 spedd chain and I have learnt the hard way just now that these are impossible to re join using the same pins...I heard there is a better chain I can use..is that right? Which one? Will it work with my shimano cassette? why is cycling so expensive?:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
why is cycling so expensive?:smile:

It's not, taking your bike to bits in your garage and then being unable to put it back together again is. :ohmy:

02GF74

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke;317828 The pedals turn and I can shift gears except to the biggest cog and the biggest chain wheel...well i can do that but man is the chain ever TIGHT. [/quote said:
well that is not a combination you should be using - look at the angle of the chain run

big chain wheel for small rear cogs
small chain wheel for big rear cogs

on my road bike 2-9 when I am in big ring, the chain rubs on the derailluer when I am in the 2 biggest rear cogs so I change gears accordingly.

some mountain bike rear derraileurs, known as short cage - wil not allow certain gera combinations.

.... but going back to your problem; it sounds like you do not know how to determine the chain length - if you need to know, I will take a look as I am sure one of the Shimano leaflets you get when buying shimano parts explains how to do this (I jsut can;t rembemr the gear combination).

... anyway, if you do your own chain replacing, you will have short bits, say 5 loinks, of chain left over. you can join these onto your chain but would need to buy the shimano joining pin - these are a rip off rpice of about 50 p.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've just fit a 10spd KMC chain on my road bike, much cheaper than the previous Shimano 105 chain & seems to run a lot smoother & comes with an easy to use powerlink, not the PITA version :tongue:
Quite a few on ebay

jags

Guru
when you say it wont go into large sprocket at back ,what ring are you on at front you should be on the middle or smallest.hope fully you have it sorted by now if not just add on a link.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

ok I took it over to Biketraks and for zero cost they took alook, tinkered with the derallier, and told me that I had taken out the correct number of links after all and that the chain was the right length, however muggins here had run the chain through the derallieur incorrectly...so all is now well. The guy felt that the frame size was cool for my height given I have very long legs...he felt the saddle should come up a fair way further...I will try it, but I am already suffering from altitude sickness on rides!
...nice bloke, cool advice, no hassle, no booking in needed and all for free....so i bunged him a fiver for a drink. I will probably end up buying my roadbike from there now because of this. Bike traks brentwood high street essex.

domtyler

Über Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
ok I took it over to Biketraks and for zero cost they took alook, tinkered with the derallier, and told me that I had taken out the correct number of links after all and that the chain was the right length, however muggins here had run the chain through the derallieur incorrectly...so all is now well. The guy felt that the frame size was cool for my height given I have very long legs...he felt the saddle should come up a fair way further...I will try it, but I am already suffering from altitude sickness on rides!
...nice bloke, cool advice, no hassle, no booking in needed and all for free....so i bunged him a fiver for a drink. I will probably end up buying my roadbike from there now because of this. Bike traks brentwood high street essex.

Result! :ohmy:

leoc

result! I also learned the hard way that you can't join shimano 9 speed chain without the special joining pins or a power link. In fact I learned whilst out of the saddle on a climb, doh!

Top Bottom