help. i need new tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bubbles3

I need new tyres for my road bike but there seems very few on the market the same size as those that came on my GIANT SCR1. The current tyre size is 700 x 26 and are kenda kontender tyres. I've read a lot of bad reviews about these yet i've had absolutely no problems with them. Someone told me i could put 700 x 25 tyres onto my rims, can anyone give me more advice on this? I use my Giant SCR1 for winter/spring riding and with northern irelands wet weather i like the idea of having more rubber in contact with the road. Can anyone give a complete novice some advice, i don't mind buying an expensive puncture resistant tyre but i don't want to buy something that is no use for my rims.

potsy

Rambler
25's will be fine, you probably have a range of between 23-28 that would do, depending on your rim's internal width.
Plenty to choose from, my current ones have just been discontinued (Michelin Krylion) but others will advise more about their preference :thumbsup:
You may also be better giving us some idea of your budget, my previous tyres were Schwalbe Durano+, very good if expensive.

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

25's will be fine, you probably have a range of between 23-28 that would do, depending on your rim's internal width.
Plenty to choose from, my current ones have just been discontinued (Michelin Krylion) but others will advise more about their preference :thumbsup:
You may also be better giving us some idea of your budget, my previous tyres were Schwalbe Durano+, very good if expensive.
Thanks for the info, i have read about the michelin krylion tyres they seem to be very good. I'll pay up to £35 each tyre. Your info certainly means i have a lot more choice. Thank u :smile:
I need new tyres for my road bike but there seems very few on the market the same size as those that came on my GIANT SCR1. The current tyre size is 700 x 26 and are kenda kontender tyres. I've read a lot of bad reviews about these yet i've had absolutely no problems with them. Someone told me i could put 700 x 25 tyres onto my rims, can anyone give me more advice on this? I use my Giant SCR1 for winter/spring riding and with northern irelands wet weather i like the idea of having more rubber in contact with the road. Can anyone give a complete novice some advice, i don't mind buying an expensive puncture resistant tyre but i don't want to buy something that is no use for my rims.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
Sheldon Browns tire sizing page has this handy chart which shows what tire sizes are appropriate to use on different size rims:
tireSize.gif

Joe--23

they are difficult to get hold of, but if you can find them then i would recommend Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp 25mm tyres. Stunning grip in all weather, very puncture resistant and get good mileage for a race tyre out of them :smile:

Psyclist

Über Member
I third Gatorskins. They're good commuter tyres too. Michelin Pro series are for racing (fast rolling) and also sacrifice puncture resistance.

Jdratcliffe

using conti gp4000's only done 400 odd miles but good grip only had one visit but due to huge pothole that i missed ( in the driving rain monday and was under a puddle)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I hate the Gatorskins... fragile beads, lousy "protection" and sod-all grip in the wet..... apart from that they're brilliant :laugh:

Krylions (now replaced with pro 4 endurance, which I haven't used) are cracking tyres; as are the slightly cheaper Lithions.

The Blizzard sports are also fine for summer use - I found wet grip leaves a little to be desired though.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've got Schwalbe Blizzard Sports on the winter commuter - in bright red (to go with the red bike). In the wet on a tight bend it does get a bit ... erm ... interesting?

The main bike's got Conti GP4000S on, which I've found much better than Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's.

I've had Conti Gatorskins, which were OK and Schwalbe Durano (not Durano+) have had positive reviews.

rb58

Enigma
In my experience....
Gatorskins - not much use in the wet.
Durano+ - ridden them all winter and am very happy with them. Quite heavy though.
And if you want a real 'fit and forget' tyre go for Schwalbe Marathon Plus. That is if you don't mind the extra weight and all the roadies laughing at you. They come in 25s (though they look bigger), and they're a b*gger to fit. I'm on my second set and haven't had a single visitation yet.

Scruffmonster

Über Member
The Blizzard Sports are horrific to fit too. I had a little conversation with them as I struggled to get them on.

"Guys, you had better be worth it. I dont mind you being fusspots but if I put the work in now you've got to promise me not to leave me doing this in the rain 10 miles from home."
They replied;
"We wouldnt do that to you dude, we're hardy little fellas. Just do us a favour and dont trust us too much on wet descents, we like to play a game of Grip Grip Slip with not a lot of warning of when the Slip is coming"

So far, we've both held up our own end of the bargain.

Top Bottom