Help - I need to lose weight, fast!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

screenman said:
jimboalee, I think you burn between 50 and 53 calories per hour when sleeping , depending on how much you move about, Traveling in a coach you will use even more per hour.

When you've had a skinful of beer and are fast asleep under a hedge facedown in the snow, you'll burn a damn sight more than 53 kCals/hour.

The average man's ( 50 yrs old, 175 cm, 75 kg; = 1.75 m^2 body surface area ) Basal Metabolic Rate will be 65 kCals per hour.

BMR reduces with age.

The value of BMR is assumed the person is covered in insulation that keeps their surrounding boundary layer at Neutral Skin Temp; or 33 Deg C.
A good quilt should do this.

The calculations to formulate this result are in the first week's lessons at the Royal College of Nursing.

jimboalee

BTW, its impolite to post a link to a member's profile page.

There's nothing on mine of much interest except a photo of Michael Palin as 'Bicycle Repair Man' from an old Monty Python sketch.

screenman

Legendary Member
I apologize for that mistake. I was just trying to give you my opinion to your post, at the point where you mentioned rider would not do anything they needed calories for.

As I have pointed out before I am certainly not an expert on dieting, I know what has worked for me over the past 5 months and can relate to that, whilst you obviously have reached a lot higher standard of education within this field. The only information I have on calories loss is gained for Google.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have worked out a route of approximately two miles on farm tracks starting from home. It is slightly up and down hill, and can easily be extended or repeated. Not having a mileometer wotsit, I have calculated that a medium pace on this sort of terrain would be approx 2.5 miles per hour. That might be a bit low, but I have allowed for meeting people, as I did today, on holiday from South Wales, and slowing to talk to them for a short distance. I can just set out without any preparation, drink plenty on my return.

I will be trying to walk this distance most days. The idea of going indoors to a gym does not appeal. I prefer the fresh air and the peace and quiet.

Following the advice on what to eat, I feel a lot better, and look slightly slimmer. I am expecting it to be some time before this shows on the scales. My scales continue to vary by up to half a stone, when I weigh myself. Can anyone suggest a good, but inexpensive set of scales please?

shippers

Speicher- in addition to this, I read somewhere that doing some dead simple things reasonably regularly helps burn the lard- just before you go out, squat and touch the floor 10 times. It works thebig muscles in your things and butt, which speeds up your metabolism.

TBH not sure how much difference this could make but no doubt some boffin has worked it out!

Augustine

the MyPlate website works OK for me. not sure why it's quick for me and slow for you?! i run Linux rather than Windows but I can't see how that would make a difference. it's been a revelation to me to learn the calorific value of different foods. i've never really thought in those terms before but noting everything down has been good for me. i've cut back loads on portions sizes and feel much better for it. ;P have a look at the calorie count for a 'Big Whopper' from Burger King and you may never be tempted again!

jimboalee

screenman said:
Whilst you are looking up that one have a look at Pizza.

A Tesco Deep pan Bar-b-q chicken 10" pizza is 870 kCalories, give or take a mile or two.

This is what goes down my throat for a 100 km Audax. The bread is instant energy. The chicken and cheese not so, but very tasty.

At the moment, they are 3 for £5...

They freeze OK.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
A Tesco Deep pan Bar-b-q chicken 10" pizza is 870 kCalories, give or take a mile or two.

This is what goes down my throat for a 100 km Audax. The bread is instant energy. The chicken and cheese not so, but very tasty.

At the moment, they are 3 for £5...

They freeze OK.

This is just about right for a FLAT 100km.

A simple correction factor -

For every 0.25 Audax Altitude point, eat another pizza. :ohmy:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
A question on light exercise/walking. If I do my walking route of between 1 and 2 miles every day, which I think is slightly up and down, does the speed I walk at have an effect on the calories used? I try to do it at a brisk pace* and sometimes speed up.

* Yesterday, being a Sunday, I met three people out walking, this is a very friendly part of the world, and people like to stop and say hello, and for me to admire their (well-behaved) dog.:wacko: I can see that when cycling you would just nod/say hello and keep going.

jimboalee

Speicher said:
A question on light exercise/walking. If I do my walking route of between 1 and 2 miles every day, which I think is slightly up and down, does the speed I walk at have an effect on the calories used? I try to do it at a brisk pace* and sometimes speed up.

* Yesterday, being a Sunday, I met three people out walking, this is a very friendly part of the world, and people like to stop and say hello, and for me to admire their (well-behaved) dog.:tongue: I can see that when cycling you would just nod/say hello and keep going.

Walking is about double that of cycling per distance.
If you cycle 1 mile, its 50 cals. Walking, its 100 cals.
( cyling is half the cals and three times the speed, so SIX times as efficient )
Walking down a slope counts as BMR.
If you start and finish at the same place, it cancels out.

A two mile walk ( 200 cals ) should be counted as "Daily routine" and you should NOT be thinking "Calories?"
It is LESS than an ounce of bodyfat. I'm sure you can afford that on a daily basis.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
:tongue: Calculates 16 x 14 x oooh eer, yes you are right Jimboallee. :smile:

Perhaps I need to rephrase my question.

If I gradually increase the distance to say four miles. Does speed make a difference to (any :blush:) gain in stamina and strength? I think I can walk further if I do not walk at a very brisk pace. Or should I just vary the speed and distance each day. If I start running, then the distance I can do will drop considerably. :blush::ohmy:

navrat_biker

if you can find some time PM me what your typical diet is and i will have a look for you and make some suggestions on how to lose some weight.

Augustine

speed of walking does make a difference and so does time. so 20 mins of fast walking will burn more cals than 20 mins of slow walking, but you have to make sure the time stays the same, not the route (as, of course, you'll complete the same route quicker if you walk quickly and so will exercise for a shorter period of time). if you google it, you can find loads of estimates of cals burned per hour of different forms of exercise - though these are only very rough guides as your body weight makes a big difference.

Top Bottom