Help identify this valve please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

demonwolf

Hi all I am new to this forum.

I have recently acquired a racing cycle from a friend and the tyre has a puncture, I have just looked at it and it has a funny looking valve.

Please click here to see a photo of it.

Can you help me identify this please so I can buy the correct adapter for it.

Rgds

Demon

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The answer is very short: Presta :wahhey:

OP
OP
D

demonwolf

excelletn thankyou very much. Very quickly where can I get an adapter for this valve and roughly how much would it cost?

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
It's Presta.
valves.gif
Which looks a little bent.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
demonwolf said:
excelletn thankyou very much. Very quickly where can I get an adapter for this valve and roughly how much would it cost?

probably easier to just a buy a pump that fits the valve. any bike shop or halfords will be able to sort you out

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Most LBS (Local Bike Shops) or Halfords will sell you the adaptor.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
tundragumski said:
surely a google search could have got that answer in 3 seconds?

Maybe not if you aren't sure what you're looking for.

With regard to adaptors, it depends what you want to adapt. You can get a little screw on adaptor that will mean you can use a car valve sized pump on it from most bike shops (looks like this). I got mine from JE James in Rotherham for £1

Even halfords sell them, but they helpfully call them a woods adaptor.

If you buy a decent bike pump they usually fit both types of valve

What sort of pump are you currently using ? If it's a hand pump then consider a floor pump as road tyres need pressures over 100 psi.
Its not an MTB type valve as lots of MTBs come with presta too.

OP
OP
D

demonwolf

I got a new hand pump. It has a gauge on so I can nflate the tyre to 100psi.

It also has gears shifters that are incorperated into the brake lever. thing is the levers are solid, you cannot move them to the left or right also the release lever on the reverse side of the brake lever is free, when you move it across nothing happens. Can anyone help with that please.

Wouldn't bet on being able to inflate to say 120 psi (pressure I go for) with a hand pump until you've tried as can depend on the pump and you.
Still better off with a floor pump as it's much quicker.
What is this bike you've bought and what name is printed on the gear shift indicators ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
In all honesty, if you know so little about bikes I'd get your local bike shop to check the bike out and show you how it all works. It's better than relying on us to answer your questions, especially when you're not even sure of what questions to ask in the first place!!

Top Bottom