Help identifying a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StatiK

Hi all! This is my first but hopefully not last post.
I found this in a shop window going for a bargain price of £55 with a new rear tyre. I live in a city next to a cycle track so will only probably be used for shop runs or to meet up with mates.
However, I can't find for the life of me what brand it is although there is a large capital 'D' logo on the front of the frame. Probably a Chinese knock-off of a standard brand. Anyway I love it to bits and seems pretty reliable. Shimano (allegedly) gears etc.

Any help on ID'ing it would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if I was ripped off or got a bargain. It rides really smooth with the front shocks and 18 speed gearing.

Thanks in advance,
Stat!K

Attachments

• IMG_20211024_215842646.jpg
    IMG_20211024_215842646.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20211025_204219574.jpg
    IMG_20211025_204219574.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20211102_182627340.jpg
    IMG_20211102_182627340.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20211102_182753955.jpg
    IMG_20211102_182753955.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20211102_182840190.jpg
    IMG_20211102_182840190.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
S

StatiK

From all the googling I've done, it most resembles a Diamondback Overdrive, so the pricing for a used one like mine was reasonable even though it was in pretty good condition. Anyone else concur?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice work for £55. I think you were the one doing the ripping off :laugh:. Probably from the eighties. Does it need anything doing to it?

OP
OP
S

StatiK

Thank you everyone for your input and confirmation. It needs a new front wheel but otherwise a great ride. Not tried it in a properly off-road condition yet but love the feel and responsiveness on-road.
Ride safe and thanks again!

simongt

Guru
Seems like the bargain I got for my Dawes Super Galaxy. Older ones n t'net for up to £800, paid £300 for my pristine '92 model and the manny was very happy with the price. :okay:

OP
OP
S

StatiK

Seems like the bargain I got for my Dawes Super Galaxy. Older ones n t'net for up to £800, paid £300 for my pristine '92 model and the manny was very happy with the price. :okay:
I know right! I must've spotted it as soon as the manager of the shop put it up for sale. I had been looking for a bike for some time and after a bit of googling, I found that used mountain bikes (even ones older than this - I think it's a '92 model) were at least £100+ so snapped it up there and then after a test ride. It does need some TLC but I've put 50miles on it with no issues at all apart from the chain coming off once. And that was my fault after hefting it over a concrete barrier.

Crazy tho, this time last year and during the proper COVID panic you'd have a lot of trouble finding a used bike

alex_cycles

Veteran
Crazy tho, this time last year and during the proper COVID panic you'd have a lot of trouble finding a used bike
I'm hoping some of the people who bought bikes then and haven't used them much will decide to sell them off soon

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
It needs a good few years of unused storage at the back of the shed/garage to allow the original buyer to mentally write off the purchase cost and sell the thing on at a bargain price. For example the £325 or so that my Raleigh Royal would have cost in 1985 doesn't sound that much money today, when in reality it was well over £1,000 adjusted for inflation. If you think of it as a "£300 bike" then you might not be too unhappy getting £30 for it after 30+ years ownership, but if you thought of it as a £1k bike then even 10p in the pound of the new cost would demand a £100 price tag.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It needs a good few years of unused storage at the back of the shed/garage to allow the original buyer to mentally write off the purchase cost and sell the thing on at a bargain price. For example the £325 or so that my Raleigh Royal would have cost in 1985 doesn't sound that much money today, when in reality it was well over £1,000 adjusted for inflation. If you think of it as a "£300 bike" then you might not be too unhappy getting £30 for it after 30+ years ownership, but if you thought of it as a £1k bike then even 10p in the pound of the new cost would demand a £100 price tag.
I'm sure that's right.

Unless the bailiffs are at the door it's easier to not think about unused depreciating assets. I'm no longer waiting or looking for bargains; the bikes I already have will certainly outlast me!

Top Bottom