Help identifying Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shmokica

Hi All

I picked up a bike from a shed, which was owned by a lady's late husband from new. He was a mad keen cyclist still riding 20km each way to work on this bike in his 70's.

The serial number is 1191242 so I am guessing 70/71 era?? I am not across all the vintage components so have photo graphed them.

QsCxXnuXTbSPZ26gROJAHw.jpg IWyTdc4GRgOBfojfe7AOHQ.jpg liKPiDF5Sk2u63pC7SMLBA.jpg FEM+ZvkqSTi8urvaALV+ow.jpg zK1g2mVqRTqWSmW8WU08Qw.jpg

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Looks like a later version of my old Corsa (which I picked up in this condition in 1964)

poczzmobj-jpg.jpg

midlife

Guru
Chrome lugs :smile:. Number is 1968-72ish but would put it at the earlier range because of the chrome. Pretty looking blue colour as well.. I wonder what the chainset is as it's steel cottered with what look like alloy rings. TA cyclotouriste?

Looks like it should scrub up well :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
One of these Corsa's?

img_3424-jpg-jpg.jpg

Oh, and my 'restoration' of one resulted in this:

dscf6217-jpg.jpg

Kempstonian

btw My Corsa (above) had extra decals applied by a previous owner - it should look more like DCLane's first pic (in a different colour, obviously!).

OP
OP
S

shmokica

Thanks everyone, it certainly looks like the above bikes. The bit I was curious about is the top tube decal. If you look really closely the letter after the - doesn't look like the C or the E's that I have seen in placement decals.

It seems similar to the T or perhaps an I??? The last faint letter would indicate a word maybe 7 - 8 characters long. I went through the model range and couldn't find anything that appears to match exactly The bike which tends to match the frame and early decals would be a Team Pro, including chrome lugs, however all the components would match the Equipe or Corsa. It is a one owner bike, deceased estate and has been sitting in dry storage for 32 years, and I know you could buy the Team frame kit, so thought perhaps he had it built up for him to suit his commuting???

Last edited:

Kempstonian

Back in the day it was quite common to buy a frame and make your own bike up. Most people in our club did that. It was a better option than buying a ready made bike and then swapping out various components.

Top Bottom