Help,I'm all body and no legs!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huttster

Hello all,i am about to order a bike online and am unsure on what size to get,my current bike(claude butler hybrid race)is a large,the top-tube measures 56cm and the bottom bracket to top of seat tube is also 56cm,i measured this way as the road-bike i am thinking of getting is also measured like this,i have a 84cm inseam which multiplied by .67=56.28,does this mean i need a 56 frame?The 56 frame on the new bike has a top tube of 55cm and seat tube of 56cm,the saddle on my current bike is set as far back as it can go and to shorten the top-tube seems daft,i am 6ft tall and suffer with mild lower back pain on current bike but legs feel perfect,next size up 58 has 56cm top tube(same as current)and 58cm seat tube,finally the 60 has a 57cm top tube and 60cm seat tube,is it more important to get the top tube length right and just lower the saddle?It seems my legs are a 56 frame and my body is 60,any help greatly appreciated.:wacko:

e-rider

crappy member
It's difficult to say just from reading this but if you're 6' then a 57 or 58cm would seem like a good idea.

I'm 6'2" and ride a 60cm road bike.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I'm 6'1 with 32 inside leg and find a 58cm frame fine.

There's always a good amount of adjustment with different stems and saddle.

Go to a bike shop and get a fitting, there's no obligation to buy from them unless you can get a good deal.

Jezston

Über Member
There's a thread in Know How about measurements, worth checking that out.

Whatever you do find anyhow, I'd be interested in hearing - I think I have similar proportions to yourself. I'm six foot, but only have a 31" inside leg and find my current 60cm Kona Dew Plus (this is a compact frame, so apparently 60cm = 56cm 'regular' frame) is a little short length-wise, but a little tall heigh wise - thus I find I have to lower the handlebars considerably to feel right, and still feel like my seat should be higher, but can't reach the pedals comfortably any higher than it is now!

I believe some frame manufactuers (Cotic I believe are one example) that do different sizes in terms of length as well as height. I'm sure these variations exist in complete bikes, too. Worth perhaps popping into a knowledgable bike shop and discussing it.

Ben M

If I were you I'd go into your LBS, get measured, sit on a few bikes, and speak to them for advice. They don't need to know that you're not purchasing from them...

OP
OP
huttster

huttster

Just been to competitivecyclist.com and used the fit calculator,you measure inseam,trunk,forearm,arm,thigh,lower leg,sternal notch and body height and it's supposed to calculate a competitive fit,eddy fit and french fit,the calculations for my measurements tell me a top tube length of 56.8cm to 57.2cm and the seat tube has two measurements from bottom bracket to centre of top tube(eddy fit 55cm to 56cm) and bottom bracket to top of top tube(eddy fit 57.2cm to 57.7cm)no measurement for bottom bracket to top of seat tube but would surely be 60cm at least,i'm going by eddy fit as is middle ground,this puts me on a 60 :sad::wacko: ,think i'm going to have to find a shop to size me up on the bike!

Top Bottom