Help in removing handlebar grips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I am swopping my handlebars over today. I am trying to get a pair of rather nice specialized grips off and put them onto a butterfly handlebar. Is there some magic technique to removing them? Currently I am using my favourite tool, namely a large screwdriver and trying to prize them off with little luck. Suggestions welcomed, thanks.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The one and only decent use for WD40. Spray a little under the grips and they'll slide straight off.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Many thanks Steve. Used GT85 and the lefthand one has slipped straight off. Now when I want to put them on again I will need to remove said GT85 with say paper towels etc?

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Grips off fine, now I realise that the new bars have a smaller diameter than the originals. I am now off to my LBS to buy the right sized stem. oh hum.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd use a reasonably gentle degreaser to get the WD40 off.
Some form of alcohol works well - finally a use for the bottle of grappa / ouzo / schapps that you bought in forrin climes and it's been on the shelf untouched for the last 5 years...

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
Now I know about oversized handlebars and how to remove grips! Thanks everyone, job done, just going out for a test run. I have just used the foam grips and see how I get on with them. If I don't like them I will cut them short and put the Specialized grips back on.

gps315

Über Member
Out of interest, where did you get the butterflies from? Good old Chainreaction doesnt seem to do them.......

e-rider

crappy member
Steve Austin said:
The one and only decent use for WD40. Spray a little under the grips and they'll slide straight off.

+1

Many people struggle with this job but by using WD40 it's a 2 minute job - I've changed 100s and it's never failed. Use it to put the new ones on too.

I now use lock-ons on my bikes as they're much better anyway.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I got my butterflies from freemanscycles.co.uk. With a pair of foam grips it came to £28.90 inc p & p. Now I have a new adjustable stem I am going to be forever fiddling about to do to get them in the right position!

Top Bottom