Help! I've stuffed a cotter pin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Grind or file the bent thread as flat as you can to the crank then pin punch/drift and a hammer.

robgul

Legendary Member
Grind or file the bent thread as flat as you can to the crank then pin punch/drift and a hammer.

You don't need to grind the thing down (that's high risk of damaging the crank or chainwheel) - just use a punch and hammer (or a "drift" which is just a wider punch) - if you can, clamp the chainwheel in a vice (sandwiched between two flat pieces of wood to avoid damage) so that it's held firm and the punch/drift hammer combo will be more effective. It's one of those "start gently and if necessary use a bigger hammer" jobs but it should come out easily.

gbb

Legendary Member
You don't need to grind the thing down (that's high risk of damaging the crank or chainwheel) - just use a punch and hammer (or a "drift" which is just a wider punch) - if you can, clamp the chainwheel in a vice (sandwiched between two flat pieces of wood to avoid damage) so that it's held firm and the punch/drift hammer combo will be more effective. It's one of those "start gently and if necessary use a bigger hammer" jobs but it should come out easily.
I work on the principle that the shorter and flatter you can get that damaged thread, the more likely you'll drive it our easily and without it bending further and making things more complicated.
Of course if you don't have a grinder, a drift and hammer will do and as you say, it might go quite easily....but I remember those abominations as a kid, they didn't always give in without a fight :boxing::okay:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well done! Always such a satisfying feeling when they go :smile:

I think I've had to resort to using a vice and socket on every single one I've ever removed, but then again the bikes have always been in a bit of a state!

robgul

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4584041, member: 45"]I thought I'd try zip ties.[/QUOTE]

Seriously - back in about 1958 I fashioned a (very) temporary cotter pin from a piece of wooden dowel to get me the couple of miles to the LBS (fortunately about half the distance was downhill)

Rob

Top Bottom