Help me build my bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
The last 2 years I've ridden a Cube Peloton (Nowt special just the entry level) just to see if I'd like road cycling, didn't want to spend silly money at first, well I can safely say I'm bitten and love nothing more than a ride out in the sticks at weekends, started of with 10-15 miler and now regularly getting 30,40 and 50 miler in... To this end I've decided I want (not need) a new bike.

I'm rather taken with The Kuota Kharma Evo ( my lbs has just started to deal them) and they offer a custom build service, this is where I'm struggling to decide on components.

I want this bike to be the last one for a long time so I'd like to get it right. I like long solo rides, I sometimes ride in a group, I'm keen on sportive and early next year I'm looking to do a tri so I feel this frame geom is a good compromise all round.

I'm thinking Campagnolo chorus group set with Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels. I've nothing against Shimano I just feel it's a bit too mainstream for me although I'm open to any genuine argument as to why not.

Wheels, jeeze now this is a minefield, I'm really open to suggestions here as it is something I know nowt about, are a more expensive set of wheels really that much better to a bike? I've spent an hour or 2 reading up on wheels and for the money Mavic Ksyrium elite seem to keep popping up, like I say open to suggestions.

Budget - ideally I'd like to keep it around the 2K mark but don't mind going up a bit, it'll go on the C2W.

so suggest away... :bicycle:

Giuseppe

I am pretty new to this, and not add to any discussion of wheels. However, I have recently test ridden several bikes and have been able to compare the Campy Chorus to the Shimano Di2 within a day of each other. I enjoyed both, but the Di2 allowed smooth gear shifts with just a touch of a finger. I could not make it hang up not matter how silly I was. I am a fan of the Di2. Have not tried EPS or Dura Ace (out of my price range right now).

FreeFlow Bikes

I've just bought the New Shimano Dura-Ace WH-9000 C24 CL Clinchers and love them. They're very lightweight and very responsive. Great wheels.

My old wheels which I'm keeping as winter wheels were the Fulcrum Racing 5's which were a decent enough wheel, albiet heavier.

Top Bottom