Help me choose a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
Was thinking of getting a Boardman but Halfords don't let you test ride. They wouldn't even adjust the seat height for me to try out the bike for size.

Anyway I've seen a Specialized Allez Sport for £750 today which I got to try on a Turbo trainer.

What do you guys think of the bike. Good value or am I better looking at something else.

This will be my first road bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
What's the spec? Specialized you get a good frame with lifetime warranty, but lower level components and something pretty common on the roads. Try to take one outside, not just on trainer. Evans good for test rides but don't take halfords vouchers

OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
I'm not really clued on specification.

It seemed to fit me well. As it was a recognised brand name and not too cheap it sounded good to me. Would appreciate the advice of the pros on here.

If there is another bike they'd recommend for the money I'm happy to listen.

OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
This is the spec I think

56 Satin Black/Charcoal
Frame: Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium, fully-manipulated tubing w/ smooth welds, 1-1/8" lower bearing
Forks: Specialized FACT carbon, aluminium steerer/crown, 1-1/8"
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Sora
Front Derailleur: Shimano Sora
Shifters: Shimano Sora STI
Chainset: Shimano Sora, compact
50/34
Bottom Bracket: Shimano, outboard cartridge bearings
Chain: KMC X9
Cassette: Shimano HG-50, 9-speed, 12-27
Headset: 1-1/8" sealed Cr-Mo cartridge bearings integrated w/ headset, 20mm alloy cone spacer, w/ 20mm of spacers
Stem: Cast alloy, 4-bolt, 31.8mm clamp
Handlebars: Specialized Comp, shallow bend
Front Brake: Shimano Sora
Rear Brake: Shimano Sora
Brake Levers: Shimano Sora
Rims: AXIS Classic
Tyres: Specialized Espoir Sport, 60TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x25c
Saddle: Body Geometry Riva Road Gel, 143mm
Seatpost: Specialized Sport, alloy, 2-bolt, 27.2mm
SEAT BINDER: Alloy, 31.8mm
Pedals: Nylon flat test ride, loose ball, w/ reflectors
Grips: Specialized S-Wrap, w/ bar shapers

Cyclist33

I doubt you'd be disappointed if you liked it when you sat on it.

Saying that I think my Defy 3 is awesome but I'm seriously considering selling it. Drop bar bikes aren't for everyone!

What colour is it?

OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
I doubt you'd be disappointed if you liked it when you sat on it.

Saying that I think my Defy 3 is awesome but I'm seriously considering selling it. Drop bar bikes aren't for everyone!

What colour is it?

Comes in red or black.

vickster

Legendary Member
Red!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Black bikes are boring, red ones are fastest...look at Ferraris!

If you are going to have a specialized like everyone else, at least get one in a pretty colour

I have to say I would be loathe to pay £750 for a bike with sora, I'd want tiagra or sram apex for that. Problem is c2w restricts the choice often so can't get the best deals on outgoing models

Top Bottom