Help me choose a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
With difficulty, especially if restricted to C2W. Used would be an option but you want to be sure of the history of the bike

Why do you specifically want carbon, you'll get a better frame potentially and better overall spec if you stick to alu/ carbon forks if under the £1k mark

Cannondale are reckoned to make the best alu frames, look at the CAAD if wanting racy like the allez or synapse if more relaxed

vickster

Legendary Member
Other than the ribble and Planet X £1000 options, a couple more here, thanks to google

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/under-1000-carbon-bikes/

The heavily reduced Raleigh is £750 but only in a 54cm...but at least it's not black ;)

Wiggle have their own c2w scheme

OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
With difficulty, especially if restricted to C2W. Used would be an option but you want to be sure of the history of the bike

Why do you specifically want carbon, you'll get a better frame potentially and better overall spec if you stick to alu/ carbon forks if under the £1k mark

Cannondale are reckoned to make the best alu frames, look at the CAAD if wanting racy like the allez or synapse if more relaxed

I just thought carbon would be better and lighter. Maybe a bit naive on my part.

I'll have a look at the CAAD and Synapse.

Other than the ribble and Planet X £1000 options, a couple more here, thanks to google

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/under-1000-carbon-bikes/

The heavily reduced Raleigh is £750 but only in a 54cm...but at least it's not black ;)

Wiggle have their own c2w scheme

We use Salary Exchange for our cycle scheme so wouldn't be able to buy from Wiggle. Thanks for the link though.

vickster

Legendary Member
You may find buying on interest free credit gets you a better bike than c2w for the same money, just a thought.

A carbon frame might be a few hundred grams lighter but a cheaper carbon bike will often come with lower end heavier components, such as wheels and groupset, off setting any weight savings

I just thought carbon would be better and lighter. Maybe a bit naive on my part.
Yup ;) Buy the very best frame your budget will allow, which to be frank with your budget that won't be carbon.

I'll have a look at the CAAD and Synapse.
Both great bikes, (yes I am biased to the CAAD, mines a 10), but if either fits you well and you like them then neither will disappoint.

As vickster says, the CAAD is race geometry whereas the Synapse is more upright, but you can also adjust both as well. So in other words you can make the CAAD a bit more upright or you can make the Synapse a tad more sporty.

[EDIT] PS: ignore vickster on colour, black is best ^_^ :becool:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Do you reckon I could get a full carbon bike for around this money?
As posted by @vickster the 2013 Mekk Poggio 1.5 (9 speed - 18 gears Sora) is on sale at Wiggle for £720 in a range of sizes & colours.

The 2014 version Mekk 1.5 is on sale at Rutland cycles for £675 but only size 50 & 53 so probably no good (what size are you) ?

The felt F6 (race geometry) & Z6 (Relaxed/Sportive) look good at just shy of £900 (10 speed Sram) but it's pushing the budget.

If it were my cash then I would try to find a top end Aluminium 2013/14 bike like the Defy 1 or Cube Peloton Race as the real cost on C2W for a £1000 bike is around £700 for lower rate tax payers less for higher earners.

Or the Mekk Poggio - use for a couple years then upgrade the groupset to Tiagra or 105.

Good luck hunting.

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Better also 2nd or 3rd the Cannondale CAAD or Synapse as I am sure they aren't well rated for nothing.

Synapse is Bike Of The Year winner in Cycling Plus mag for 2014.

Might be pushing your budget again though.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Better also 2nd or 3rd the Cannondale CAAD or Synapse as I am sure they aren't well rated for nothing.

Synapse is Bike Of The Year winner in Cycling Plus mag for 2014.

Might be pushing your budget again though.

It must be good then...

vickster

Legendary Member
It's £1850 for that one though, carbon and ultegra? So a teensy bit over the £750 budget...not that my alleged limit didn't increase by about £500 when I bought the Pearson :whistle:

OP
OP
Harv

Harv

4 8 15 16 23 42
I saw a really good bargain and have bought my first road bike ever.

It's a Trek 1.1. I've had a little test ride and I'm loving it so far.

Hopefully it doesn't put my Brompton or Hybrid out of action.

Top Bottom