Help me choose another road bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I only mentioned that as an example of more bike for less money, the important part is discount, particularly as the 2020 model bikes are starting to make an appearance dealers want rid of this years models, why spend £2600 when you can buy it next month for £1800
Edited my post. It’s 2.8k here, down from 3.4k in 56cm only
https://www.jejamescycles.com/trek-checkpoint-sl-6-road-bike-2019.html

However, you cannot get Trek bikes delivered to home iirc. Have to be collected in store (at least used to be the case)

He may also have been offered a discount (link to Trek Oz page not retailer)

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
He does say he’s not interested in buying online :smile:

Discount may also not be a requirement. The linked Trek is around £2.6k at current XR (Although U.K. RRP £3.4k). Is that around the max budget?

Might be worth waiting for discounts (if there isn’t one yet) as that’s the 2019 and the 2020 should be out imminently
The 2020 model is already out, or at least the shop staffer mentioned something about it. I could try asking for a discount, perhaps? In the meantime, I'll continue checking out other bikes and shops.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Here's a few nice ones, advertised at a bike store near where I work. I'm planning to visit the store this week some time:

https://www.bikeforcedocklands.com....ultegra-r8000-carbon-red-153-runout/103165646
- cons: very small front wheel clearance, and the is advertised as the last available and has size 53cm (probably too small for me, I'm 6'3" / 190cm), so I may not be able to get a larger framed one.

https://www.bikeforcedocklands.com..../docklands/bianchi-xr3-disc-ultegra/103876492

https://www.bikeforcedocklands.com....y-season-release-very-limited-stock/105430327
- although the link above quotes $6000, there's another bike shop near where I work that offers the 2019 model for $4000.

As I mentioned before, this store (BikeForce Docklands) also has Colnago, but I could only find framesets on their web page, not complete bike builds.

Anyway, I'm going there to browse, keeping my options open of course. :smile:

Regards,

--- Victor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've emailed my local bike shop to ask them about a discounted price on the 2019 Trek bike I test rode last weekend, so will await their reply. I'm not too happy with the price of that bike. Although I'm prepared to pay up to about $6000AU for a new bike, I want it to be a good value purchase.

I also just noticed that BikeForce Docklands (the shop near work I posted links from above) is having a relocation sale, with various bike brands marked down by up to 40%, so I may find a bargain there. So I'll definitely be visiting this store sometime this week on one of my work lunch breaks.

Actually, this one is about 55% off:
https://www.bikeforcedocklands.com....cklands/pinarello-prince-56-ex-demo/105638046
Have any of you used a Pinarello Prince?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Perhaps this question needs its own thread, but I'll ask it here anyway: why is it so difficult to get weights for entire bicycles? :banghead:
During my bicycle searching, I've found heaps of web sites that give frame weights, but almost no mention anywhere of full bicycle weights. Even the review sites, where the reviewer has actually borrowed and ridden a bicycle, rarely mention full bicycle weights. It's really frustrating me.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Another thing I've noticed in recent years, and particularly while I'm bicycle-hunting, is that bicycles are slowly turning into motorcycles. :rolleyes:
Various parts requiring batteries or fluid are slowly becoming common, e.g.
- DI2 gearing
- hydraulic disc brakes

I was reading about the Specialized Roubaix Expert Comp yesterday, and found that it comes with a headset that has a built in shock absorber mechanism they've termed "Future Shock" (how appropriate), and so now simply replacing a worn out headset just became more complicated.

One of the things I've always liked about bicycles is the classic simple design that has stood the test of time: they've traditionally always been a lot easier to maintain and clean than motorcycles and other motor vehicles, but unfortunately that's not so much the case these days. :sad:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ultimately you need to go for a test ride. There's a reason you like riding your current road bike, what are they and what do you want to improve on. If the new bike isn't improving on it then why buy it?

Consider also that your old commuter is heavy because it's been built that way. You could easily rebuild it sub 10kg if you wanted to. Just removing mudguards takes off 1/2 kg, rack another 1/2 kg, lighter saddle 1/4kg, lighter forks, wheel set, lighter tyres, lighter pedals, lighter drivetrain etc and you'll soon knock off a few kg.

Top Bottom