Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Carrera Vulcan

• GT Avalanche 3.0

• Be-One Aspire 2.0

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Lisa - how do you get on with your suspension? I don't believe you can lock the forks on the Vulcan so wonder how that affects sudden braking & handling etc on flat roads. Don't suppose it would be too noticeable if you can adjust it to suit.[/quote]

Um, tbh iv never played around with anything-got the bike checked over and adjusted properly by my lbs as it had come from halfrauds and i was wary-and since then it has been fine. Iv had to do a few sudden stops and it all feels really steady and comfy and easy to handle, and I know im sounding like a total pleb but im afraid thats all i can tell you. I know the forks are ajustable but as its fine like it is iv not messed with it!!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I had been looking at the Rockrider 5 XC myself a few weeks ago also Plax. Seems good VFM but I don't like the colour scheme :smile:

Maaan, I sound girly!

The 08 model is totally the same bike as the 09 model, except for paint job, saddle design and as you yourself noticed, the £20 cheaper, slightly inferior forks.
The forks look a bit weedier hence will probably flex a bit more. My XCM's were adjustable for preload on both stanchions, the XCT's seem to be only adjustable on one side.
I would advise if you chose a Vulcan to get the 08, unless you really prefer the black of the 09.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Berger and Chips said:
The 08 model is totally the same bike as the 09 model, except for paint job, saddle design and as you yourself noticed, the £20 cheaper, slightly inferior forks.
The forks look a bit weedier hence will probably flex a bit more. My XCM's were adjustable for preload on both stanchions, the XCT's seem to be only adjustable on one side.
I would advise if you chose a Vulcan to get the 08, unless you really prefer the black of the 09.

Cool, I'm not bothered about the colour (and I usually change the saddle anyway), so I'll go 08 model. I'm after an 18" frame which my local Halfords has in stock, the only 09 one they had was 20" (which would fit ok according to the inside leg measurements (I'm 32" leg), but from personal experience I prefer the 18").

I've reserved online to collect in store the 08 V-brake version if the Vulcan. Collection for Saturday apparently. Hopefully I won't change my mind in the interim!
Thanks for all the help.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Crackle said:
Yay. Virtual pint to B&C methinks. Look forward to the first review Plax.

Raises pint to B&C :wacko:.

Will provide pics and review when I get it. Mr Plax is going to the football (boring!) on Saturday so I've got all day to play with it without feeling guilty!

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Picked up the Vulcan today. Initial impressions were that Halfords had done a piss poor job of setting it up. The rear mech was pretty much spot on, but the shifting on the front was crap. Wasn't changing between chainrings properly and in the highest/lowest gear the chain was propper rattling on the cage. So sorted that out and now appears to be okay.

Took it for a spin. Must say on the road it's like a slug, truly awful and won't be doing my average speed an favours. Took it along the gravel cycle path along the lake and deliberately went over every bit of protruding stone etc and you couldn't really feel much. You can certainly feel the difference in ride when the suspension is on soft compared to the hybrid. My teeth would have been rattling on that. I tightened up the suspension on the way home and went over all the stones etc again and you could feel that a lot more. So at least I know the suspension is doing its job! It also felt "faster" cycling home with the suspension harder, made riding on the road with 2.1 knobblies a little bit more enjoyable.

I'm off work the last week of July so plan on taking it out on one of the trails and finding out how good it really is. I think it will do the job nicely for it's intended purpose. Certainly won't be using it for any road cycling unless I get some "slicks" for it.

The original saddle was not to my liking so I've just swapped my seat post and saddle over from the hybrid - a Brooks on a MTB!! Looks ok actually as it's a black Brooks. Figure I'll just swap seatposts around the bikes rather than buy a new Brooks for the time being. Still considering whether to buy another set of clipless pedals for it or just leave them as flats for now, or swap the pedals off the hybrid and put those on the MTB (double sided pedals on the hybrid).

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase and I'm judging it on road cycling which is stupid as it isn't a road bike. Roll on my week off when I can play with it properly!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Plax said:
Picked up the Vulcan today. Initial impressions were that Halfords had done a piss poor job of setting it up.

Utter surprise. Still, I'm glad it's good now.
This does not mean I fancy being dragged all round rocky stuff next time I'm up!:wacko:

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Utter surprise. Still, I'm glad it's good now.
This does not mean I fancy being dragged all round rocky stuff next time I'm up!:wacko:

Oh, come on you know you want to! :sad:

Right, best be off to watch John Barrowman on 5th Gear!

Top Bottom