Help me decide: Raleigh Record Ace...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

contadino

Veteran
Hello folks,

I'm hoping you can help me make my mind up about whether to buy a bike I've seen online. As usual, it may be a case of the fog of nostalgia...

For years I've been cycling on the famous Italian 'stradini bianche', white gravel country lanes, but over the last few years I've been upping my distance gradually and have the occasional tarmac-only days where I stick to the minor asphalt roads. My old but much loved 2002 hardtail MTB is not the best suited, even with slicks on, so I'm after something quicker, but not a full-on road bike because the road surfaces are pretty poor, I'm fat, and I don't really like modern stuff.

Plus, I'd like to start doing the occasional overnighter - either staying in an agriturismo/B&B along the way on kipping on the beach - so the ability to attach a rack is kinda important.

So I got thinking back to some of the bikes I had as a kid, which seemed ideal - robust, quick, and practical. The one that inspired me most was a early 80's Raleigh Record Ace. Then I spotted this one on eBay and the seller would be willing to ship it out to Italy for a reasonable sum....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1...22-1-2in-57cm-FRAME-531-TUBING-/331505043406?

I spotted this bike last week. It got no offers and has been relisted. It looks to be in decent order, and I think is the right size for me.

So what I'm after from you guys is a bit of a reality check. Is the price reasonable? Can you see any issues with it? Are some parts really difficult to get hold of nowadays? I've yet to check whether the quill/seatpost are seized, but from what I can see it all looks kosher.

I'm not after 100% original. I'm not after some sort of weight weeny racer. I'm not after some sort of concours d'elegance. Just a bit of speed and a nice ride.

Many thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks a good un and the price is about right, plus it is 'late' enough to not have any of the sizing problems that the older ones have with stems and BBs.

OP
OP
contadino

contadino

Veteran
It arrived today. Awesome condition. I need to sort some bits out and get the LBS to give it the once over, but it's a good 'un. The month-long spell of dreary weather broke at the same time as the bike turned up, so clearly a higher power is giving me the thumbs up. And I'm going to need some divine assistance to help with the change from a MTB to the same bike I had 30 years ago...the position is hugely different.

Top Bottom