Help me decide Tubeless or Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

My new DCR wheelset will arrive in the coming weeks and I’m still debating whether to go tubeless or not. My current tyres are tubeless. Here is my conundrum.

I’m ok with getting a puncture on tubeless when out, as I can just put a tube in if worst comes to worst. Here is the issue (s) I have.

I removed one of my current tubeless tyres recently as I wanted to clean out the old sealant and replace, bad move, I spent hours, unsuccessfully trying to re seat them onto the rims,which I eventually had to admit defeat and head to my LBS for him to inflate the tyre for me with his compressor.

If I buy a set of tubeless tyres to fit onto my new wheelset I’m pretty sure I’m going to have to do the same again which is a bit off putting for me, knowing if and when I have to remove the tyres, if I want them re seated again i’m probably going to have to go to LBS each time….or find a way for me to do it. I did manage re inflate using my co2 but when I tried to replace the co2 inside the tyre unseated again.

I should add I want to run tubeless but not having the ability to be self sufficient in installing the tyres is what is putting me off.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Do you have either a track pump with a built-in, high flow compressor tank (like the one linked above), or a compressor tank such as an Airshot? If not, the latter at least is not overly expensive and would almost invariably do the job.

Above beat me to it , this is what I have. , Airshot

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Ai...a9BN2kHVZzLHRD5f_nQaAmuEEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

As to whether to continue tubeless is a different deabate, for me anything 28m or under stay tubed make smore sense on high volume lower pressured tyres. I have tubeless on 2 bikes MTB and CX but not my road bike. I find blowing tyres up to 100Psi usually blows any sealant filled hole out again.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Do you have either a track pump with a built-in, high flow compressor tank (like the one linked above), or a compressor tank such as an Airshot? If not, the latter at least is not overly expensive and would almost invariably do the job.

I have a standard Joe Blow track pump that isn’t up to seating tubeless tyres. Unfortunately

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As you will find out from a multitude of previous threads people on this forum are generally haters of tubeless, many often without actually trying it. There is certainly more faff in the initial setup, but for me the benefits far outweigh that.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I love tubeless, i use a small compressor for mine, but i also do a bit of spraying so that warrants spending the extra money ,I have used one of those tanks, they work fine.

I have a standard Joe Blow track pump that isn’t up to seating tubeless tyres. Unfortunately
That's what I have. In the majority of cases, I can install new tyres and seat them with just that. I have an Airshot for the edge cases, which are rare and usually involve having moved a part-used tyre between wheels. The Joe Blow works, for me and my wheel / tyre combinations provided I use soapy water when installing the tyres.

Thanks for that. I did contemplate such tools but at that added cost, I think what’s the point? Is it really worth all the faffing……?
I've so far covered a little under 70,000 km (on 28mm tyres, on roads) without faffing around with a tyre at the side of the road so I do think the marginally increased faffing at home is worth it, yes.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Wondering what other tubeless users out there do?

Not worry basically.

There's no way on the face of this earth that I'm breaking the bead on my tires without some heavy duty tools, that I would never carry with me on a ride, let alone worry about re-seating the tire.

So I'm chilled, I carry a set of worms and a small leyzyne hand pump as well as making sure that the sealant is kept topped up. My last set of tires stayed on the rim for two years of serious off road riding and never gave me an ounce of bother or deflation.

For the initial install of my new tires, I do use an airshot tank, brilliant bit of kit and takes all of the hassle out of it.

I do run 47mm tires on my gravel bike, at about 32 psi. As for tubeless on narrower road tires, personally I doubt I would bother, anecdotally more people seem to have bother on the smaller volume road tires.

SydZ

Über Member
If you are careful in your choice of tyres and wheels it is perfectly possible to seat the tyres with only a track pump. I’ve been successful in doing so with two bikes in our stable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

So DCR state tubeless is preferred on their wheelset but clinchers are possible but are more difficult to fit……am I going to really struggle ?

Sallar55

Veteran
I have this, no need for a compressor, valve core out, use track pump to put 9-11 bar into bottle then use bottle to seat tyre.

Screenshot_20220504-192658.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
It all depends on the rim, tyre combination, with some part played by the rim tape and valves. I have one of the JB boosters which worked ok in seating the tyre, at least once I had preshaped the tyre with a tube. Ive had two punctures, one sealed itself, the other didn’t. I can’t really justify the expense and steep learning curve for narrow road bikes but do enjoy the ride quality. With hindsight I probably wouldn’t have gone down the tubeless route.

Top Bottom