Help me decide.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moss

Ok..... Thanks you guys.... After taking in all the info you have given me and done a bit more searching, I have binned my 4 previous choices and have been looking at The Ridley X-bow, Forme hiver and the Columbus x wing frames as suggested. Must admit that these all look superb and offer more potential.

How does the Ridley Xbow compare to what I might get from Paul.... I can get the Xbow From cycle world for 850....
Any good????
Sorry for all the questions, I do wish I lived in a more populated/ modern part of the UK with an LBS close to hand to sort all this out..

The Ridley X-Ride which is the cross-bike above the XBOW - is rated as the lightest alloy cyclocross bike in the world! They are as light as many carbon framed cyclo-x bikes. I have the X-Ride with Ultegra works out about £1550.00 or £1350.00 with 105. You would be set for may years with a Ridley X-Ride. >http://www.ratrace.com/28344/produc...ogle&utm_content=None&utm_campaign=PriceComp1

Also at Wiggle > http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ridley-x-ride-1203a-ultegra-2012/

oldroadman

Veteran
Ok..... Quick update....
Ordered bike from Paul last Tuesday..... Delivered to my door by 16.30 on Thursday....
Assembled Thursday evening after parents night at school ... Chomping at the bit to get back to do it for over 2 hours...
Unfortunately with no shoes... And a weekend away with the better half looming, I had to leave it in the garage without even having a wee test ride.....

Tried all weekend to find cycle shops with my size of footwear, and eventually on Sunday , found a place on the way back home....

Got home and set up spd's , donned some tight Lycra with some gel padding.... Checked tyres... Decided to run with 100 on the front and 115 at the back..... And off I went...

Weird having brakes that moved to change gear, weird having to lean and turn at the same time..... But absolutely fantastic ride.... Constant smile factor.... Took it easy to start to make sure gears were not going to slip, smooth and effortless changing....
I am no powerhouse at cycling... But by god , I am sure I was just a smidge from warp speed at some points.... How easy are hills now compared to a mountain bike, and it's been nigh on 25 years since I have felt wind speed like that rushing past me on my old Raleigh 12 speed....

Just a few tweaks needed with, seat position and handle bars.....

Will post pics tomorrow.... Can't wait to get out again... Hopefully find some people locally to go out and enjoy the road with.....

On the road, I hope! For cross, depending on conditions, go as low as comfortable, or no grip will be the problem. In really bad weather this can be down around 2 to 3 bar (28-42ish psi), or less.

OP
OP
Nick bray

Nick bray

Regular
Yes, on the road...lol
Had the bike set up for the road to start up with so i could get my lard ass cut down in size before tackling the cyclo stuff...
Really pleased with it so far, think i have it set it up nice for myself, my only grumble being the seat on long rides.... When your butt goes completely numb... does this mean you and your seat are in complete harmony with each other.... or should i look at another....?? Just getting ready to look for another set of wheels to cope with the cyclo stuff.... Have a set of Fulcrum 7's on board just now, which i was told would be good for cyclocross as a beginner. Starting to have some slight doubts after reading some reviews on them. Has anybody out there used them for cross. or can anybody recommend a wheel to me, which would be good for a 100kg beginner.....Not looking to break the bank...Especially as i am planning on upgrading to Fulcrum 3's for the road next year....

Top Bottom