Help me find a new commuter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'm trying to work out (justify) if it's worthwhile getting a new bike. I'm currently an occasional cycle commuter. I'm hoping to increase the frequency. A couple of years ago, in my old job, I was doing a 15m each way commute, by bike, 2-5 times a week.

Currently its 7m+ each way, but in a few months work moves to a new building and it'll double, with a few good hills in there.

The current ride is a B'Twin road bike, 700x23 tyres and a double chainset, with the shimano STi gear change. Its fitted out as a commuter with a pannier rack and light mounts all ready for winter. I spend very little time on the drops.

However the hills to the new site are starting to get me thinking 'triple'. I know its not all practical thought as I'm still thinking of the current m/c being a winter bike and a new one being the summer/fine weather bike (plaything?..) with nothing additional clipped or bolted on.

I'm a (not fast) runner and thinking about entering a triathlon next year, if I get a bike I'll need it for this too.

Ones I've seen are:

spec

and

giant

anyone got any opinion or any alternatives?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Why not stick a wider range cassette on the back?

You might need to change the rear mech for a longer cage and extend the chain but otherwise it would be cheaper than a new bike , you can then get a summer bike as well :rolleyes:

Top Bottom