Help me find the right brand and model for my needs please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ineedbikeadvise

I want a single speed (No Gears) my budget $600. Ill be riding around town all day everyday. No hills or off-road use, on flat sidewalks and bike lane use only. I need durable for potholes but fast to cut down riding time. I'm 5' 8" 140lbs

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm sure some of our US cousins will have some new bike suggestions but how about building one from an old racer? Check out this video from RJ the bike guy. He's got other vids about where to bag an old bike from.

View: https://youtu.be/nkNCXx10NqY

You'd need about a 22" frame.

Last edited:
I would recommend second hand cheap MTB with tyre size 26x1.75 to 2.25 if all you are doing is what you describe. Leave it in the middle gear all the time. Max 25 quid for used El cheapo Appolo.

As for fast it will depend on your legs.

froze

Über Member
I agree with both of the posters above, either way works great.

BUT, if you must have a new bike single speed bikes new are rather cheap and you can get nice bikes. For example the Masi Uno Drop is a road style bike with full brakes that would be fast and it has a classic look to it for only $550. If you don't like drop bars then the State Bicycle Company Ashford is another classy looking bike with full brakes for just $300. If you like a chrome frame there is the Bianche Pista but if cost $770 but wow that chrome looks fancy! That one also has road style bars. Kona makes the Paddy Wagon with straight bars and full brakes for only $600. So you have a lot of good choices, just depends on what grabs your attention.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@froze 's suggestion of the Kona is a good one and now if you register your bike within 3 months with them they'll extend their frame warranty from 3 years to lifetime cover. Something many smaller makers fail to offer.

Top Bottom