Help me guilt trip my dad!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yumbuna

So, I have a 32% discount on anything from halfords as part of a cycle to work scheme. On top of this, my dad completely forgot my birthday last month and I cant help but feel that not guilt tripping him into contributing to the remaining cost of the bike would be a wasted opportunity.

I'm tempted by the Boardman MTR 8.6 (see link below).

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mtr-8.6-mens-mountain-bike-526605.html

I'm looking for a mountain bike to chuck around the woods and get back into some trails, as well as some riding around town here and there. Ideally from halfords to use my discount, but other suggestions welcome, especially sales!

Any thoughts on this bike or other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just to note with the C2W you don’t get a discount off the purchase price but you save the money on tax and NI as the payments are taken from your gross salary rather that you paying from taxed earnings.

When you commute on it, will that be roads or off road? How far?

Be aware that bikes are in very short supply at the moment, so your choice may be more limited. Note that other independent bike shops accept the Halfords C2W vouchers. Also make sure the voucher is enough to cover the bike if you do go to Halfords as they don't allow topping up. Also, if you want to buy other stuff at the same time, get a bigger voucher to cover as you’ll save the tax there too.

another thing, make sure the bike is fully insured, if it gets stolen or damaged, you’re still liable for the payments until it‘s all paid off!

@fossyant might be able to comment on the spec as he has a Boardman MTB

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yumbuna

Just to note with the C2W you don’t get a discount off the purchase price but you save the money on tax and NI as the payments are taken from your gross salary rather that you paying from taxed earnings.

When you commute on it, will that be roads or off road? How far?

Be aware that bikes are in very short supply at the moment, so your choice may be more limited. Note that other independent bike shops accept the Halfords C2W vouchers. Also make sure the voucher is enough to cover the bike if you do go to Halfords as they don't allow topping up. Also, if you want to buy other stuff at the same time, get a bigger voucher to cover as you’ll save the tax there too.

another thing, make sure the bike is fully insured, if it gets stolen or damaged, you’re still liable for the payments until it‘s all paid off!

@fossyant might be able to comment on the spec as he has a Boardman MTB

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated!

I was aware of this, but the savings on Tax/NI are 32% are they not?

My commute will be around 8 miles and is ~60% off-road.

As one of millions of people suddenly wanting a bike due to lockdown, I'm expecting it to be more difficult to find the bike I want, but any recommendations or advice on choosing a bike would be greatly appreciated!

Oh brilliant, I thought the discount could only be used in Halfords, in which case I was also tempted by a GT Zaskar LT Expert in my local CyclesUK ( https://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr_en/zaskar-lt-expert ).

Thanks again for the pointers!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated!

I was aware of this, but the savings on Tax/NI are 32% are they not?

My commute will be around 8 miles and is ~60% off-road.

As one of millions of people suddenly wanting a bike due to lockdown, I'm expecting it to be more difficult to find the bike I want, but any recommendations or advice on choosing a bike would be greatly appreciated!

Oh brilliant, I thought the discount could only be used in Halfords, in which case I was also tempted by a GT Zaskar LT Expert in my local CyclesUK ( https://www.gtbicycles.com/gbr_en/zaskar-lt-expert ).

Thanks again for the pointers!
The % depends on your tax band I believe. Calculators are available on scheme sites

some shops charge a surcharge to take a C2W voucher

Top Bottom