Help me price my Thorn.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wilson jr

Would like help pricing this bike please. Had a touch of luck finding it in a skip but it is too small for me. All gears and brakes work as they should, hubs are super smooth and wheels are true. Tyres are good and hold air. Just needs a seat and seat post and a little Tlc. If I was to keep it I'd put a cable set and new chain on it but they work fine.

Thorn xtc. Built 2001. 56cm top tube. 52cm seat tube. Shimano deore lx hubs. Sun rims 26 inch rims. Shimano bar end shifters. Shimano deore rear derailleur. 27 speed, 9 rear 3 front. Mud guards. Reynolds tubing rear rack.

Thanks
20171104_114529.jpg
20171104_114544.jpg
20171104_114645.jpg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Is this the same bike that was posted about a few days ago or is there a glut of Thorn bikes being thrown in skips and I am just looking in the wrong ones.

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

of course anything is a bonus. Was very lucky indeed to aquire it. It's a lovely bike. I have 2 "projects" on the go at the moment and are turning out to be money pits so if I could move this on would help greatly and stop my wonderful wife giving me an ear bashing about the parcels that steadily arrve. :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Didn' know its worth so just threw a number out there
I suggest you print out Professor Stephen Freear's comment and include it with the bike. I'm amazed you didn't explore the name on the bike you'd recovered from a skip. "Freear" is not exactly a common surname. It took me one minute to find which Stephen Freear might have been the previous owner (which reading down your other thread I then saw @srw had already done).
https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/academic-industry-profiles/single/756/dr-steven-freear
"As well as my passion for engineering, I think it’s equally important to have a life away from work. So my other passion is cycling."
Glad I found the original owner.
Glad someone pointed out to you who the previous (original) owner probably was.
Nice bike. Best of luck with sale.

Drago

Legendary Member
It wouldn't be worth a lot unless the seller can demonstrate legitimate ownership

OP
OP
Wilson jr

Wilson jr

I suggest you print out Professor Stephen Freear's comment and include it with the bike. I'm amazed you didn't explore the name on the bike you'd recovered from a skip. "Freear" is not exactly a common surname. It took me one minute to find which Stephen Freear might have been the previous owner (which reading down your other thread I then saw @srw had already done).
https://engineering.leeds.ac.uk/academic-industry-profiles/single/756/dr-steven-freear
"As well as my passion for engineering, I think it’s equally important to have a life away from work. So my other passion is cycling."

Glad someone pointed out to you who the previous (original) owner probably was.
Nice bike. Best of luck with sale.
I am a busy man. I did manage to track him down and spoke to him on the phone before he posted what he did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom