( HELP ) needed for 531 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terry

Can someone please help me with some generall knolledge, i have come across a frame for a much abussed reynolds 531 pro earley 1970s model and am looking to respray in mink blue as the paint work has had it.
Can someone tell me does the frame have to be cromed first then painted in blue / silver or painted first then cromed, also what is the distance where the paint stops and the crome starts as the sprayer would not have a clue ( the same as me ) and what colour silver was used on the paint work.
As you can tell i am quite new to much of the information abuot reynolds so could use any info anyone knows about how to restore to original condition.
Yours terry

hubgearfreak

Über Member
you need to see a frame builder.

here's a list.

http://www.framebuilding.com/custom_uk_bicycle_framebuilders.htm

Proto

Legendary Member
If it is already chromed, and the chrome is knackered, then it has to be stripped, re-polished and re-chromed. This would be done before painting. And is very costly.

But I would advise caution, and seek expert advice from an electro-plater and a frame builder before doing anything. Chroming is a very agressive process and can damage the tubing. Removing plating doubly so, it requires all sorts of nasty chemicals and can damage tubing further.

This is made worse by the fact the 531 Pro is an extremely thin tubeset (main tubes same dimensions as 753, but without the heat treatment, I think) so even more susceptible to chemical damage. Note that Reynolds advised against chroming 753 tubing full stop, no ifs or buts. (although I did have a Peugeot 753 frame that had chrome stays, and it didn't break).

Personally, if it was mine, I'd abandon the chrome, just get it gently bead blasted and repainted.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I don't know where you live/cycle/leave your bike unattended, but round my way we'd consider that a pre-securitised classic. 531 pro and looks like crap? Ride, enjoy, forget about the scrotes - they'll be too busy going for bling.

Top Bottom