Help needed identifying an 80's Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Is it actually a 531 frame?

Don't think it could be anything other than, British, handbuilt, 531

I'm having it, in any case. I've been ordering the parts and will weigh it before assembly

Interestingly, the rear spacing is 130mm

Last edited:
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
IMG_20230624_090628.jpg

16875941237567106944934850179981.jpg

Here it is with some wheels (also from recycling center). Have a 10 speed thumb shifter knocking around somewhere, possibly all the parts needed to get it on road, other than brakes.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I’m pretty sure it’s a Raleigh Royal

That would be cool.

A couple of things I've noticed...

Despite the long head tube, which I'd associate with older bikes, it has 130mm spacing. Also, seems very minimalist in terms of mounts / bosses.

I do think this is going to be hard to definitively pin down.

It lacks mudguard eyes. Trouble is Raleigh, and the badge holes and fluted caps scream Raleigh, used the same basic frame design for different models, so with no components or markings, and worse, no trustable tubing transfer the nearest one could get is to say Clubman/Royal/Record Ace/Zenith etc.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
It lacks mudguard eyes. Trouble is Raleigh, and the badge holes and fluted caps scream Raleigh, used the same basic frame design for different models, so with no components or markings, and worse, no trustable tubing transfer the nearest one could get is to say Clubman/Royal/Record Ace/Zenith etc.

Yeah, at this point I'm content to just think of it as "my Carlton / Raleigh" and get on with the build.

It is so similar in every respect to my last dedicated road bike, it's uncanny.

Top Bottom