Help needed!! MTB needs identifying (Full Story included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XxRobbiexX

Regular
Right, A couple of days ago I rescued a full sus MTB from ending up on the scrap heap. Not something I would normaly do, but it looked nice and just in need of a bit of TLC. I asked the bloke in the truck where it was heading, and he replied "to be crushed with the rest of this junk" so I asked where it came from, he replied "off some dodgy estate" so I asked kindly if he minded if I took it? He replied "dont give a f**k!"

So this is where I need you guys.

Question 1) How do I find out if it's stolen? It's not in great shape, but I'd be willing to get it back to it's rightful owner if I could.

Question 2) If it's not stolen, do you guys think with some details you could identify what bike it is? I'd like a little project and can throw a few £'s into it (if it's worth doing?!)

I can post pictures and I have a few details of the bike's parts which may narrow it down. I've never been into MTB's but I would like a cycle project.

Regards

Rob

lb81

What are the details?

Pics?

OP
OP
XxRobbiexX

XxRobbiexX

Regular
Pictues are on thier way!

The frame has been re sprayed (alarm bells!) and it's not a great spray, so no logos at all.

It has Heng Li Tong suspension in the middle (HLT-400)
Zoom Forks.
Shun crank set.
Shimano Tourney gearing.
Full Aliminum frame.

Think thats all I can offer at the moment!?

lb81

Does it look like this?

25308193_640.jpg

OP
OP
XxRobbiexX

XxRobbiexX

Regular
I've looked at 1000's of pictures and I'm still none the wiser!! Blooming mystery!! :wacko:

lb81

Yep. To be fair there are loads of different brands offering similar types of kit to this!

I wouldn't be spending much on it though. I doubt it was more than £200 quids worth new so its probably only worth it if you have any old parts kicking about or can get some real cheap bits off ebay. Going to your LBS etc to get what you need will cost way more than its worth I am afraid...

OP
OP
XxRobbiexX

XxRobbiexX

Regular
It looks like a nice frame that someone has bolted crap on to. I may just do it bit by bit and see how I get on. I'm not going to throw hundreds into it, but I think with a little TLC it could be a nice bike. The frame itself is really light, thats what made me think it may be a hidden gem. I'll keep looking, but if anyone can shed any light I'd be greatful.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I hate to burst your bubble, but in terms of design it's a bit of a dog's breakfast. Double plant Zoom forks, and, sorry, that shock was meant to be there. The tube shapes look Trax or Apollo shape, poss old Saracen, and Tourney gearing harks back to budget late 90s stuff. The frame itself is neither XC nor Downhill, despite the double plant style forks. My guess is sports store type vintage. It shares fork manufacturer and gears with a Kobe I once got for my lad from JD Sport.

I hate to burst your bubble, but in terms of design it's a bit of a dog's breakfast. Double plant Zoom forks, and, sorry, that shock was meant to be there. The tube shapes look Trax or Apollo shape, poss old Saracen, and Tourney gearing harks back to budget late 90s stuff. The frame itself is neither XC nor Downhill, despite the double plant style forks. My guess is sports store type vintage. It shares fork manufacturer and gears with a Kobe I once got for my lad from JD Sport.

3 Hail Mary's and an Our Father.

OP
OP
XxRobbiexX

XxRobbiexX

Regular
No bubble burst here, I know diddly about this kind of bike, and where it came from would suggest budget. I wont right it off just yet, I'll keep looking so I know what it could possibly be. Worst case it'll end up going the way it came, via a scrap metal truck!! ^_^

Top Bottom