Help needed re: headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Newb101

Regular
About a year ago i started a thread asking for advice in replacing a set of rusted forks. With a bit of elbow grease and gritted teeth i managed to pull apart the forks from the frame but i have another issue now.

I have a Carrera Valour 27.5" with SR Suntour M3030 suspension.

I have replaced the forks with ROCKRIDER Fork 27.5" 80 mm 1"1/8 V-brake QR 9mmUFIT
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fork-27-5-80-mm-1-1-8-v-brake-qr-9mmufit/_/R-p-200911

I bought a headset from amazon linked:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08DFSWCLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the bearings i got, don't seem to fit into the frame of the bike.

Images below are the parts i retrieved from the old forks;

IMG_20210410_132111_9.jpg
IMG_20210410_132335_3.jpg

Can anyone link me a headset that i could replace these with?

What order do i put these ones in?

Could you give me the names of each item i have numbered and anything i might be missing?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html and linked pages may help name things. Your 6 seems to have lost a ball.

Good luck! You're beyond me.

Big John

Guru
To be honest the photos look like something from the Roman era dug up in an episode of Time Team but, joking apart, I don't see any headset cups. Are your old headset cups still in the frame? If so you've got to knock them out either with the proper tool or a metal drift. My guess is that once you fit the new cups everything will look better. Sounds like you need to take a look at YouTube for a bit of guidance. A good video will make more sense than a thousand words on here. I can't see anything that remotely resembles headset cups in your photos.

You don't necessarily need a headset press but make sure you know what you're doing when fitting new cups. You can do damage to your frame if you're not careful.

Reactions: C R

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
To be honest the photos look like something from the Roman era dug up in an episode of Time Team but, joking apart, I don't see any headset cups. Are your old headset cups still in the frame? If so you've got to knock them out either with the proper tool or a metal drift. My guess is that once you fit the new cups everything will look better. Sounds like you need to take a look at YouTube for a bit of guidance. A good video will make more sense than a thousand words on here. I can't see anything that remotely resembles headset cups in your photos.

You don't necessarily need a headset press but make sure you know what you're doing when fitting new cups. You can do damage to your frame if you're not careful.
If you do as Big John says, you'll probably also find your missing caged bearings (there should be 2 sets)...

weareHKR

Best get it all together & take it to Halfords or somewhere & get the correct replacement, it the easiest way for you.
Tip: The best thing to do when you strip anything down that you're not familiar with is - take photos of each stage & lay the parts out in the order you take them out/off, much easier to reassemble!!
Good luck... :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The cups will still be in the top and bottom of the head tube. 465321, and as @Andy_R says, the other caged bearing will be still sitting in (rusted onto?) the cup (probably the lower one).
If the cones (4) and (5) in the OP image (and cups (still pressed into the headtube) clean up OK than all the OP needs is a pair of caged bearing replacements, which an LBS will sell you cheaply from stock. Take the frame and (6) to your LBS.
Have a good hard read of Sheldon Brown's article: https://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html (which @mjr shared ^^) and then read it again!
The illustration (9/10s down the page) of the components of a threadless headset (the right hand image) has cartridge (as opposed to caged) bearings, but the principle and order of items is the same.

nmfeb70

Just changed my Suntour forks and headset on my GT Aggressor Sport and this is the order of the headset and the new bearings.

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_145329_529.jpg
    IMG_20210416_145329_529.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_2021-04-17-08-40-46-120.jpeg
    Screenshot_2021-04-17-08-40-46-120.jpeg
    74 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom