Help Needed! Voodoo Braag? Carrera Kraken? Or avoid Halfords altogether?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amy White

Hello, I'm looking for a MTB to join my kids on a rides, been looking at some of the bikes but since I'm absolutely clueless about all the specs all I know is That I would prefer a bike that is on a lighter side and its decent enough! I'm 5.5ft tall. Budged up to around £600. My 11yr old son has a Squish MTB 26 and is so lovely to ride it, looking for something similar but obviously more robust (hence the weight from too much sofa time during lockdown!) Are there any decent bikes in Halfords? Or im better at searching the local bikes shops? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

vickster

Legendary Member
The Voodoo and Carreras are decent, although Halfords mechanics are hit and miss in terms of their bike prep. I wouldn’t not buy a Halfords but would prefer to support my local bike shop. If you do use Halfords, check it over carefully.
if you want a lighter bike, do you need an MTB rather than something lighter with rigid forks? What terrain are you going to be riding, gnarly off road or more paved paths in parks and similar?

OP
OP
A

Amy White

Thank you for your answers, at the end I went to a local shop where I bought my sons Squish bike from and got myself Specialized Rockhopper!! Super excited to get it out tomorrow, been assured its a pretty decent bike, the time will tell!!

Midsrider

Hello, I'm looking for a MTB to join my kids on a rides, been looking at some of the bikes but since I'm absolutely clueless about all the specs all I know is That I would prefer a bike that is on a lighter side and its decent enough! I'm 5.5ft tall. Budged up to around £600. My 11yr old son has a Squish MTB 26 and is so lovely to ride it, looking for something similar but obviously more robust (hence the weight from too much sofa time during lockdown!) Are there any decent bikes in Halfords? Or im better at searching the local bikes shops? Any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

If it must be Halfords then Voodoos mountain bikes are brilliant - the Voodoo Hoodoo is one of the best they do and its in your budget. I have seen this bike compete with the big bike brands and it keeps up well - and will keep you in the "Street Cred club! with your kids!" as its a decent bike.
I have a friend who has one and has mountain bikes over £5k and his voodoo hoodoo is his go to bike 80% of the time as he loves how it handles. I would keep away from Carreras to be fair. LINK

Here is a video of it vs a top of the range bike.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8KUkxviI4U

Failing that - Trek do a great Marlin 6 bike, which i love ! we have 2 x Marlin 5's for general messing around on and they perform great ! but your budget you can get the Marlin 6 LINK

loads of trek Marlin 5 and 6 videos on YouTube ! Enjoy!

Top Bottom