Help needed....what type of...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
luggage?

Mrs A and i have recently taken the decision to partake in a little touring. It's a bit of a departure from our usual all out rides and ok, is maybe a realisation that we are not quite as sprightly as we once were. (No offence to confirmed tourists:blush:). The thing is, we are deliberating over the choice of luggage type. I'm pretty certain that Ortlieb is the brand for us, but in what combination?

I envisage that most of our tours will be up to say, three days, but we rather fancy that tours of the continent will be in the offing so at least one of us will need panniers. What do you fair lads and lasses think would be most suitable for our purposes for the second bike? i.e. more panniers, bar bag, rack bag (ok, I don't think Ortlieb make them) or a combination.

Your opinions gratefully received.

Assuming you won't be camping and cooking for yourselves, then bike 'a' could have rear panniers and a bar bag, bike 'b' could have a seat bag and a bar bag.

Something like this:

rear panniers - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ortlieb_Back_Roller_Classic_Panniers/5360007507/

bar bags - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altura_Arran_Bar_Bag/5360029323/

and a seat bag - http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkBagDXP

and frame - http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/product/150/Topeak_Beam_Rack_RX_With_Side_Frames

Tony

I would go for a rack and panniers for both bikes, at the very least. Bar bags are a personal dislike for me, but some folk swear by them. More pannier space means more shopping.

andym

Über Member
People ride with all sorts of combinations of luggage: saddle bags, backpacks, trailers etc etc. I've even seen people riding with front panniers only (there are even people who claim this is 'more aerodynamic').

Two sets of rear racks and panniers would be a sensible starting point.

willem

Über Member
If you are camping light, two sets of rear pannier will do just fine. If you are staying in hotels etc, two sets of front panniers on the rear will be enough. Alternatively, you can take two rear panniers, and your wife two fronts at the back. In all cases, my preference would be for the roll tops. Bar bags do affect the handling of the bag, but are very convenient for valuables, and stuff you want to have close at hand. They also fit a map case. Do not overload them.
Willem

xilios

Veteran
If youre not camping and cooking than I would go for two rear panniers and two small handlebar bags.
I believe that handlebar bags are needed for quick snacks and valuables and the two rear bags are needed for clothes, toilet accesories, repair kit, first aid kit, etc...
Remember no one says that the panniers have to be full, and you will most likely need the extra room for the picnic lunch and maybe a thermos with tea (which we always bring along).

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Thanks for the kind offer dellzegg, but we are going to buy some fairly soon. And thanks to all who have replied with advice, it is much appreciated.

I think we have settled on Ortlieb universal panniers along with a rack bag. That should see us through 80% of our rides. We can then get another pair of panniers when we invade the continent next year.

There's nothing you can put in a handlebar bag that you can't stuff in your back pockets! I hate 'em... For light touring go for a couple of 32 l or so panniers each - I always fancied ortleib roll tops but ended up with Altura for some reason. Altura also do great touring jerseys - longer length with very roomy pockets on the back (see sustrans shop).

samid

Guru
Hm. I have a camera (Olympus sp570) - one of those that while really a point-and-shoot look like a small SLR - which definitely won't fit in a back pocket. Yet it fits fine in even a small barbag.

Top Bottom