Help needed with Rear hanger and/or Derallieur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stringman

http://photobucket.com/bike_gear

Sorry couldnt work out how to insert a photo so the link is above.
My sons Ridgeback MX2 is fitted with a Shimano TX51 and 7 speed with megarange
I usually adjust the H& L adjusters and the gearchange has been great but recently the gears havent been changing properly and the chain was jumping off the front cog.
When I inspected the rear derallieur the bolt ( by the blue arrow) was loose so i tightened it up but the derallieur looked bent so I thought I would replace it as its only £10. but then i became unshure whether I need a Direct fit or a hanger.
Am i correct in thinking that the part by the red arrow is the Hanger? or is it part of the bike itself? ( ot does screw into the frame and does not seem to fit as flush as the other bikes we have)
if so would i be better off buying just a hanger? (and if so how do i work out which one?)
or should i just go for a "package"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-T...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item43b140528e

many many thanks in advance for all your help

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The part on ebay you have linked to will not fit your bike. The part the red arrow points to is one of these: Link

However, there are many different types so unless someone else on here can advise, the best bet is to visit a Ridgeback dealer.

These derailleur hangers are designed to bend or break off easily if impacted so that the derailleur and the frame are not damaged. Are you certain that the derailleur is bent?

Can you tell us more about the gear changing problems?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Yes, you are correct - the red arrow points to the hanger.

This screws onto the frame and is designed to break - so that the frame is saved.

They can be quite hard to source - take the rear mech off and check that the hanger looks straight.

Then, if the hanger is ok check the rear mech. If you need another rear mech you want one that screws directly into the hanger (not one with a bracket as per your link).

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
When i bent my derailleur (bike fell over onto the drive side), I took it off so I could see it clearly and then browsed through hangers on pages like Phil linked. Theyre very easy to replace with just an allen key, providing you can get the right one for the bike. The shapes are all slightly different and some mount from the inside of the frame others like yours from the outside. My friend recently did the same but took 3 attempts to order the right one :crazy:

If you look at the hanger from the back of the bike it might be slightly more obvious if its bent/twisted, it doesnt need to be a huge amount to affect the gears :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Re-reading the original post, you only mention adjusting the gears using the high and low adjusters. Are you aware that there is also a barrel adjuster on the cable? (black plastic adjuster where the outer gear cable joins the derailleur).

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm stating the blindingly obvious, but I'd rather rule out simple things before you spend money on a new part.

OP
OP
S

Stringman

Phil,
You are not by any means stating the obvious but yes when i do adjustments I include the barrell adjustment ( from the park tools website)
The gear problem is that it will not go into 1st gear.
I think i will take the hanger off and check it for straightness and then check the mech, fit a new gear cable ( the old ones are somewhat frayed) and if that fails i could always swap the hanger of my other sons bike ( hes got an MX3) which will confirm if its the hanger or not.
I presume if i need a new mech then its a direct fitting one i need such as:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-T...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item33702d81e3

thanks all

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I think i will take the hanger off and check it for straightness and then check the mech, fit a new gear cable ( the old ones are somewhat frayed) and if that fails i could always swap the hanger of my other sons bike ( hes got an MX3) which will confirm if its the hanger or not.
I presume if i need a new mech then its a direct fitting one i need such as:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-T...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item33702d81e3

thanks all
That sounds like a good plan. Yes that derailleur is the style to use if it's required but I suspect the hanger is the more likely part to have bent.

Let us know what you find. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Stringman

Thats typical that its most exspensive and most difficult part to come by thats most likely at fault!!

If you can't get one and it is bent, you can always try straightening it in a vice, of course a new one is better but....

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thats typical that its most exspensive and most difficult part to come by thats most likely at fault!!
Yeah, I'm afraid so, but that is what it's designed to do.

Personally I don't understand why there are so many designs of hanger. You'd think that the industry would standardize to make their lives simpler, and make more profits as a small number of designs made in bigger quantity is more cost effective.:crazy:

OP
OP
S

Stringman

Well it may be confession time!!

I swapped over the rear hanger with my wifes bike. ( she has the open frame version so i guessed it would be the closest match)
When i took it off I noticed a small lug to keep it in the correct position - you know where I am going here dont you!.
When i looked at my sons bike and discovered that the derallieur was lose i just tightened it up - almost certainly in the wrong position.
so I am guessing this is what the problem could be!
But i need to fit a new derallieur cable anyway (is that easy to do at the handlebar end??) so I cant test this until the weekend.

Thanks all

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well it may be confession time!!

I swapped over the rear hanger with my wifes bike. ( she has the open frame version so i guessed it would be the closest match)
When i took it off I noticed a small lug to keep it in the correct position - you know where I am going here dont you!.
When i looked at my sons bike and discovered that the derallieur was lose i just tightened it up - almost certainly in the wrong position.
so I am guessing this is what the problem could be!
But i need to fit a new derallieur cable anyway (is that easy to do at the handlebar end??) so I cant test this until the weekend.

Thanks all
If you did make a mistake, it's just a little one so dunna worry. Not so long ago I managed to make the threads on a brand new crank come out in a neat little coil.:shy: I doubt I'll live that one down.

As far as the gear cable goes, my information suggests this bike probably has trigger shifters. I haven't replaced a cable on this type as yet (my brothers bike has them so I'll have to do it at some point) so I'll have to refer you to Park Tools useful guides.

If by any chance it has grip shifters, I find that straightening a paper clip and making a 5mm long 90 degree bend at one end gives a tool that will hook the old cable out in seconds. Far easier than in the instructions.

Top Bottom