Help needed with soreness from saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The slippery feel of a Brooks will dissapear as you break it in. I have one on my tourer and transfer it to my racing bike for longer rides. As big jim says brooks don't suit everyone but don't be too hasty changing it. Maybe you just need a week off the bike to allow it to heal properly then do short rides to build up slowly.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Another shout out for Funkier shorts. Great value, very comfortable.

BSRU

A Human Being
I'm well off the handlebars but a cm into the stem and my bike is right size. I think the measurement is to the stem not handlebars.
how did you measure your sitbones? Did you sit on a proper measuring pad? If not, nip into a bike shop and get re-done. I heard brooks saddles take ages to break into but then people swear by them.
Strange, most "information" on the internet suggests the measurement is to the handlebars as this distance can be altered with a shorter or longer stem without compromising the saddle position.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm well off the handlebars but a cm into the stem and my bike is right size. I think the measurement is to the stem not handlebars.
how did you measure your sitbones? Did you sit on a proper measuring pad? If not, nip into a bike shop and get re-done. I heard brooks saddles take ages to break into but then people swear by them.

You are quite tall though ! Just checked my commuter and I'm only half way down the stem, elbow on front of saddle, fingers halfway down a 12cm stem, BUT, I like a stretched out low position - it's what I'm used to, but not recommended for a beginner. My two road bikes are another 2cm more stretched out !

jay clock

Massive member
not sure I have the answer but a few comments.....

1 If the perineum is sore this can be friction or pressure. The friction is caused sometimes by slightly loose shorts. So the perineum is rubbing to and fro. Had that on long tours and nasty - chamois cream can help. Pressure can be caused by poor bike fit so your bum is taking the pressure instead of evenly between bum arms and legs (imagine sitting upright and riding down a bumpy road without much pressure on the pedals. The pressure is going to batter your perineum badly
2 You mentioned saddle angled down. Does not work for me. The nose a tiny bit up
3 Armjimlad mentioned balls ache. They should be tucked upwards and well out of the way. He may have just used this to mean generally pain in the lower regions, but if your balls are hurting there is something wrong
4. Time will help. I have been cycling for years and now rarely have a problem

Colin S

Über Member
I think you need to be careful not to confuse saddle position (fore and aft) with reach. Saddle position is very largely determined in relation to pedal position. Reach is determined by frame geometry and stem length.
I used to have almost incurable saddle problems on my MTB but better fit and reach on my road bike has solved the problem. (Dangerous statement as it also has a different saddle but I'm pretty sure it's the position that made the difference)

C

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I remember having the same problem when I first started, it was down to the fit of the bike, & cycling in normal underpants.
First cure was getting the bike set up better & taking all the bumps on your legs; gently lift your bum up slightly as you go over uneven surfaces, also, don't grip handlebars too tightly.
Jumping straight into cycling can upset your body just as it would if you suddenly decided to run a marathon, build up miles slowly to start, maybe just ride 3 days a week (Mon/Wed/Fri).

I was having real problems with my saddle, I ended up changing to a selle Italia and buying a good pair of shorts that had gel padding rather than just padding, best thing I ever did. No more sore ass!

OP
OP
D

David Drabble

Thanks all for the replies. Really good advice from all of you.

After scaring my paranoid self by Googling the issue and my wife telling me to stop poking the area, feeling for something that isn't there, I made an embarrassing trip to my Doctors yesterday. Gladly all fine. Phew - I know it's paranoid, but I do worry.
Upside was that the Doc was also an avid cyclist who pointed out a lot of the above comments. Padded shorts he said was the way to go. A point made by a lot of you. He also tried to talk me into buying "proper" Road Bike.
The sensible, logical side to me realises this only came on when I started cycling again and realise I have done too much. Up to 80 miles in a week from the odd 10 miler is way too much. Took a full week out of the saddle and just did a one way trip yesterday and today. My lay off coincided with the really wet weather, which was a bonus. Making some adjustments to the saddle position made a big difference also. Wore the leggings without underwear as suggested.

I noticed that I seem to be stretching forward and putting a lot of weight on my hands. My arms are locked straight when on the bars and I feel as if I am leaning my weight forward. I've had it confirmed that the frame size is Ok for my height, so I have ordered a shorter handlebar stem, so I'm not reaching too much and leaning over the seat. It wasn't expensive and if it works, will be a good investment. I reckon it's worth a go until I find the right seating position.

I will persevere with the Brooks for the moment. I need to order some of that Proofide stuff to help the seat bed in. I seem to be slipping around a bit less, but this may be in my head. If it's still uncomfortable in a few weeks, I will definitely pay a trip to a local bike shop and get a saddle from them. They have a proper bum measurer. Something I think I should have done in the first place, but you live and learn.

Next order will be padded shorts. Are they used like padded underpants, with something on top or just them? What is normally worn over them in Winter to keep the legs warm? A pair of soft shell trousers you normally see in hiking shops, or do you go for the full length, long padded leggings? Separate Summer / Winter leg wear? I know it's probably a case of personal taste, but your thoughts would be welcome. I intend to spend a bit more than I did on the Aldi ones

Thank You all again.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I own a couple of pairs of Tenn padded boxers which I used to wear under Ron Hill Tracksters or Endura baggy MTB shorts depending on the weather. Comfortable and snug. Wouldn't think to put them on for less than a 70 miler though. I also have some Endura 3/4 bib shorts which are reserved for very long rides in iffy weather. To be honest if your bike is set up properly, you have a half decent saddle, and you're riding regularly (which you are) I'd have expected your bum (and associated nether bits) to settle down pretty quickly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks all for the replies. Really good advice from all of you.

After scaring my paranoid self by Googling the issue and my wife telling me to stop poking the area, feeling for something that isn't there, I made an embarrassing trip to my Doctors yesterday. Gladly all fine. Phew - I know it's paranoid, but I do worry.
Upside was that the Doc was also an avid cyclist who pointed out a lot of the above comments. Padded shorts he said was the way to go. A point made by a lot of you. He also tried to talk me into buying "proper" Road Bike.
The sensible, logical side to me realises this only came on when I started cycling again and realise I have done too much. Up to 80 miles in a week from the odd 10 miler is way too much. Took a full week out of the saddle and just did a one way trip yesterday and today. My lay off coincided with the really wet weather, which was a bonus. Making some adjustments to the saddle position made a big difference also. Wore the leggings without underwear as suggested.

I noticed that I seem to be stretching forward and putting a lot of weight on my hands. My arms are locked straight when on the bars and I feel as if I am leaning my weight forward. I've had it confirmed that the frame size is Ok for my height, so I have ordered a shorter handlebar stem, so I'm not reaching too much and leaning over the seat. It wasn't expensive and if it works, will be a good investment. I reckon it's worth a go until I find the right seating position.

I will persevere with the Brooks for the moment. I need to order some of that Proofide stuff to help the seat bed in. I seem to be slipping around a bit less, but this may be in my head. If it's still uncomfortable in a few weeks, I will definitely pay a trip to a local bike shop and get a saddle from them. They have a proper bum measurer. Something I think I should have done in the first place, but you live and learn.

Next order will be padded shorts. Are they used like padded underpants, with something on top or just them? What is normally worn over them in Winter to keep the legs warm? A pair of soft shell trousers you normally see in hiking shops, or do you go for the full length, long padded leggings? Separate Summer / Winter leg wear? I know it's probably a case of personal taste, but your thoughts would be welcome. I intend to spend a bit more than I did on the Aldi ones

Thank You all again.
Move your saddle back to take weight off your arms and when better ' balanced,' shorten the stem to match your reach. Bend over to touch the floor, as you do this your arse moves backwards to counterbalance .... It's the same on a bike!

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
A pair of cycling shorts are worn as is, but can also be worn under any other clothing. For cooler weather, Ronhill Bikesters over the top & are reasonably priced & give good service. A cycling jersey is also a good investment. The use of specific clothing is for comfort.
If you are going to ride regularly, spend money on good quality waterproofs.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I remember having the same problem when I first started, it was down to the fit of the bike, & cycling in normal underpants.
First cure was getting the bike set up better & taking all the bumps on your legs; gently lift your bum up slightly as you go over uneven surfaces, also, don't grip handlebars too tightly.
Jumping straight into cycling can upset your body just as it would if you suddenly decided to run a marathon, build up miles slowly to start, maybe just ride 3 days a week (Mon/Wed/Fri).
Really important IMO, don't sit down on the saddle, just rest lightly on/above it. The only times I've had a problem is at the end of a very long, hard, tiring ride, when I begin to sink down into the saddle, my legs no longer providing much suspension, as it were, so vibration from the road is being transferred directly to the backside.

jay clock

Massive member
Really important IMO, don't sit down on the saddle, just rest lightly on/above it. The only times I've had a problem is at the end of a very long, hard, tiring ride, when I begin to sink down into the saddle, my legs no longer providing much suspension, as it were, so vibration from the road is being transferred directly to the backside.
very true. When well fitted to bike the pressure is even on hands bum and feet. As you get tired your arse slumps....

Top Bottom