help needed with upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The big lad

Hi,

I am totally new to road biking and recently bought a specialized allez sport 18. I'm starting to slightly regret the decision and wish i'd have got the 27 speed version as I'm struggling a tad with some of the steeper climbs in the area.
Is there an easy way I can get this granny gear without massive expense?? the current gears are shimano sora.

also , I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on the bike.
I,ve been looking at carbon wheels on e bay (mainly from china) , will these wheels fit my bike? and if so can anyone tell me if they are any good??

sorry if these questions are simple.

Thanks in advance

TBL

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Is it a compact chainset (34 teeth on small ring and 50 on large)? or 39-52 or something?

Edit: either way you could switch the cassette to something with a larger large sprocket. Something like 11-28 works very well and gives a lower first gear, for those steep hills. if you do get a new cassette then you need a new chain at the same time BTW (they wear together).

OP
OP
T

The big lad

Hi, Thanks for your reply,

My current gearing is a 34 small and a 25 on the cassette. Will changing to a 28 on the cassette make much difference?
is changing to a triple a big expense?

Can anyone help me with the wheels?

Thanks,

TBL

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A 28t sprocket will make a huge difference, an extra three teeth at the back is a lot.

Chinese carbon wheels from ebay? They'll fit your bike and the hubs need to be Shimano compatible, but it's very much a case of buyer beware. They might be great, they might not.

For a new roadie carbon wheels do seem a bit of a savage upgrade, i'd be tempted to look for a good quality conventional set from an established manufacturer first.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I went from 34-25 lowest to 34-28 lowest in the spring and it brings the bottom gear down from about 36 inches to 31, which is a welcome change, for biggish climbs. Depends how bad a climber you are, really. I am awful, so appreciate the lower gear more than most.

Top Bottom