help!! newbe what bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

preece3

hello all, im very new to cycling and i have £500 to spend at halfords but i dont know whats best :sad:
i would like to use for riding some off road and along canal paths with my wife,
im 5.11 if that helps but getting very confused on what to buy?

please help
thanks
john

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

13 rider

Guru
If want a flat bar hybrid you can gat a Boardman or a choice of 13 alpha and beta intuative ( see avatar that's an alpha) or drop bars again choice of Boardman or 13 . for £500 there's plenty of choice .also look at cheaper carrea range which are good value. Halfords don't tend to have 13s in stock and need to be ordered in .have a good look round and take your time to decide

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hi.....if you want "off road" & canal paths you need (in my opinion) minimum 28/32mm tyres. Depending on how "off road" you are thinking you may want a hard-tail (front suspension) but that will add weight and is really only necessary for quite bumpy/potholey type surfaces.
I would suggest you DO NOT need 26" wheels (mountain bike) wheels as they are much harder to pedal and not required for that type of cycling. You would probably be fine with a standard 700 size wheel with 32mm tyres. If you think you are likely to go on rougher surfaces then the newer 27.5" wheels are great............a good compromise.
As the pevious poster said........Halfords have a really good selection of bikes at that price BUT...........do you have to buy from them???? they are not renown for their service:whistle:

OP
OP
preece3

preece3

Forgot to say I have no choice, I have done the cycle to work scheme through work. I looked at a voodoo hoodoo then a carearea? Krakatoa? But I have no clue what's best

OP
OP
preece3

preece3

hi,
well i have now found one i like, its the 13 mtb and guess what its out of stock. :sad:

mythste

Veteran
Give halfords cycle to work scheme a call, they'll let you know what other local bike shops in your area accept the voucher - you'd be surprised how many do these days :smile:

OP
OP
preece3

preece3

mythste,
that was a great idea, i phoned them and they tell me i can also use two wheels in lye.
now i need help as there ranger is even bigger. any ideas anyone?

vickster

Legendary Member
Go along to the shop, see what they have in your budget and size (at a guess a 19-20" MTB, or a L hybrid in most brands) and ask if you can sit on a few and then take out a couple for a spin :smile: Best go along when it's dry if wanting to go outside

Have you already got the voucher for £500 or is there a chance of upping it (out of pocket)?

Maybe something like the Giant Talon 4 at £475? Or a Trek 8.3 DS for £500 on the front suspension hybrid scale?

OP
OP
preece3

preece3

I've done it, and I'm so happy!!!
Thanks for all the advice you all gave me
image.jpg

Top Bottom