help pavement/road/bikelane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
kimpower_1 said:
is it ok to ride on the pavement?
Not really, no. Get off and walk with the bike.
is it ok to ride on the road?
Yes.
is it ok to ride on the pavement with a trailer?
See pt.1
is it ok to ride on the road with a trailer?
Yes.

Fuller details here;
http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycling_and_the_law.php

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
kimpower_1 said:
is it ok to ride on the pavement?

is it ok to ride on the road?

is it ok to ride on the pavement with a trailer?

is it ok to ride on the road with a trailer?

:thumbsup:

Legally its against the law to cycle on the pavement... though there is a small leeway provided saying if you feel unsafe - homeoffice guidance hopefully someone else will provide the link. If that is the case then the best advice would be to get some training. I will own up that I started off cycling on the pavement near busy roads and gradually built up to cycling on the road.

There are also some situations when with very young children it may be safer to cycle with them. Normally you can cycle on the road beside them, but if the path is only on one side of the road this can be a problem if you need to be near enough to be in control.

I will probably get shouted down for saying that.

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

summer days - I think I am scared of going on the road with the trailer and kids in but im fine going on the roads without the kids. Im more scared of people having a go at me for going on the pavement with the trailer and on the road.:rolleyes:
I live near some bike lanes so ill be using them when available other then that I was thinking of using the pavement till the next bike lane comes up and very quiet roads and bike roots I don’t like going on main roads (By the way our bike lanes have got trees in them so I have yet to ride the bike with the trailer on them yet)

Thanks everyone :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Stick to the quiet roads first and build your confidence gradually with the trailer. I didn't take up cycling again until my kids had past that stage so I can't add anything useful other than to say motorists normally see them and think ... steer well clear of that!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
I know what the law says and I am sure this may cause a bit of disagreement but it is not simply black and white with kids! personally I would rather upset a couple of people than put the kids safety in the hands of drivers on the roads.

If I am on my own I never ride on the pavement, always roads.

When i started riding out with my son I spent sometime on the pavement untill he gained confidence, now i ride on the road and he rides adjacent on the pavement, although i tought him to respect pedestrians and he stops to allow pedestrians past when he gets close to them.

I would never take a child trailer on the road is it really worth it? you dont really go fast enough with them to cause issue with pedestrians and cant imagine many people would moan at you? Frankly I would be concerned if I saw someone on a road with a trailer with kids in!

mickwood

I ride on the theory that I ride like I SHOULD be riding there!

So...as I ride on roads I make sure I 'own' my bit of road, no skirting the edge! It's a bit of psychology really, if people feel they can bully past you then they will and your more likely to get knocked off or feel intimidated.....if you know what I mean?

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

Thanks summer days, I no what you mean wigsie so I think ill stick to the pavement and bike pavements that are not on the road while I got the trailer. I no what you mean Mick wood but I think ill stick to the pavements whiles with the trailer.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
summerdays said:
Stick to the quiet roads first and build your confidence gradually with the trailer. I didn't take up cycling again until my kids had past that stage so I can't add anything useful other than to say motorists normally see them and think ... steer well clear of that!

No offense, but this is a MASSIVE presumption to make with kids in a trailer, I would be quite shocked if I saw someone riding down a busy urban road with a trailer....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would be quite shocked if I saw someone riding down a busy urban road with a trailer....
I see trailers in Bristol... this morning I saw someone right in the city centre with a kiddy trailer... (near the old Bristol & West building where its multi-lane traffic) and it was just before 9 in the morning.
I wasn't suggesting she do that... more that she needs to start on really quiet roads and work up to busier roads AS she feels confident. Don't attempt it all in one go - I'm sure she wouldn't attempt a busy town centre unless she felt that she was ready and it was safe for her to do that.

Wigsie said:
I know what the law says and I am sure this may cause a bit of disagreement but it is not simply black and white with kids! personally I would rather upset a couple of people than put the kids safety in the hands of drivers on the roads.

If I am on my own I never ride on the pavement, always roads.

When i started riding out with my son I spent sometime on the pavement untill he gained confidence, now i ride on the road and he rides adjacent on the pavement, although i tought him to respect pedestrians and he stops to allow pedestrians past when he gets close to them.

I would never take a child trailer on the road is it really worth it? you dont really go fast enough with them to cause issue with pedestrians and cant imagine many people would moan at you? Frankly I would be concerned if I saw someone on a road with a trailer with kids in!

I have ridden with trailers for years with no problems. In fact when I use the Burley I get far more room than without.

There is no reason not to cycle on the road

OP
OP
kimpower_1

kimpower_1

thanks everyone .;) I went out with the trailer yesterday and found there is lots of bike lanes near wear I live, sometimes I had to go on the roads but they wear really quiet as in there was no cars on them at all when I was on them so i am really pleased with myself. :biggrin:we are going out again on Sunday :biggrin:

Top Bottom