Help please 27.5 or 29?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by Ice2911, 22 Dec 2017.

1. Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Help please, I’m sure there will be strong views but buying first mtb hardtail. 27.5 with better components or 29er? Mostly trail riding as I’m just starting off road. Two possible options, 27.5 has another 100 quid off ticket price. Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

You’re honestly inot going to notice much difference so get the better bargain.

Ice2911 likes this.
  3. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

I would go for better components. I also prefer the slightly lower standover height with smaller wheels. I ‘feel’ like I can manoeuvre my body about the bike more when there is less gubbins in the way. I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference TBH.

*runs for cover*

Chappy and Ice2911 like this.
  4. Heltor Chasca

@Ice2911 I looked at these Scott Scales when I was dreaming about a new HT a couple of years ago. I ended up with a Cube Acid. If you go for an earlier year, you can often find substantial discounts. Tredz are a Cube supplier.

It has become a great bikepacking enabler.

Ice2911 likes this.
  5. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Ice2911, Milzy and Heltor Chasca like this.
  6. Heltor Chasca

Very nice. I had a Nail Trail in the late 90s. It died on the streets of London. The specs aren’t far off the Cube I have but that Marin has some very useful upgrades.

meta lon likes this.
  7. Oldbloke

Oldbloke Guru

Heltor Chasca and meta lon like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Thanks for the advice. First ride out today 47 miles XC. One puncture, one faulty valve on replacement tube. Lots of mud, ice and water about but I had a great time.

Attached Files:

9. Gibbo88

Gibbo88 New Member

Not much difference tbh 29ers may go over the rougher stuff slightly better but the 27.5 will be a little stronger due to the smaller size. I ride both I have a meridia big nine 29er hard tail and an orange 5 Pro with 27.5 both good bikes.

Ice2911 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice