Help please on a child Trailer for my final year degree project.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samji

HI I am Sam I am currently in my final year of university after visiting Amsterdam I noticed that a lot of bikes had children carriers on the front of the bike.
Which as a mum of boys I thought was a great idea because you can see what they are up to unlike trailers which are behind your bike.
I was wondering if any one could help me with a few thoughts on this subject as it goes towards my final marks.
So with this in mind I have a few questions for you
1 would you use a front attaching child trailer?
2 How much roughly would you pay for one
3 How many children would you want to transport
4 Would you want it to fold
5 would you like it to be easily removable from your bike so it could be used as a pushchair.
6 would you want it to be made of solid materials i.e. plastic or fibreglass or metal based frame with material sides seen in most trailers?
Also any additional comments on this would be most helpful
Many Thanks
Samantha.:wacko:

PrettyboyTim

Hi Sam!

Here's my answers:

1) Yes I would
2) Difficult to say as I already have a trailer - I paid £60 for my trailer but if I was purchasing again now I would pay more for a better one. £150?
3) 1, possibly 2 on occasion, but it's not important. Important to be able to carry one child + some luggage though.
4) Definitely.
5) It would need to be easily removable from my bike. Being able to use it as a pushchair would be a nice bonus.
6) I think being a frame + material would be best from the point of view of weight and ease of folding.

I like the idea of a front trailer, but I do find it difficult to see how one could be made that would suit me well. I take my son to nursery and leave my child seat or child trailer there while I continue on to work, so the trailer would have to be removed from the bike quickly and easily, and the trailer would have to fold up so as to not take up too much space at the nursery.

OP
OP
S

samji

Hi Tim,
Thanks for taking the time know what you mean about time factor but I am working on the attachment now funnly enoth.
I used to when my kids where younger leave their pushchair with thier childminder so thats why I want it to be a stroller type as well becouse I always noticed they would drop off to sleep (when they where little). Also thought it might be helpful say if you off down the shop so you dont have to undo them drag them out and then carry them about (been there a few times) anyway thanks alot for your comments again
Sam.

PrettyboyTim

Yeah - I imagine converting into a buggy would be useful. Our trailer can, but it's absolutely huge (too wide to fit through our front door when all set up) and pretty heavy so we've never actually made use of it in that way. I imagine if it was smaller and lighter we would have by now.

By the way, my trailer is pretty much the same as the one these people sell.

OP
OP
S

samji

Yer I have seen them before did hours of googling for all sorts of child carriers patents and standards of all sorts just printing out a 44 page one now (oh the joy lol) how did I get myself into this lol.
Going to have a massive workshop day tomorrow and see if the crasy thing works.

Will1985

Über Member
Velocidad is probably the man to ask out this isn't he? He even pimped his up for Christmas :biggrin:

Top Bottom