Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary2408

Hi all
I am new to the biking scene and I am looking to buy a road bike, starting at the cheaper end, I am torn between the Dawes giro 300 and the Calibre Rivlen, the Calibre has carbon forks and a Claris shifters the Dawes is all aluminium with a Tourney shifter set, please help as I do not want the choice I make destroy the experience, any other options at this price range will be considered if you can advise.

vickster

Legendary Member
Spec alone, the calibre, but what's more important is to get the bike that fits you and you like

Go test ride

What's your budget. The btwin range from decathlon offer v good bang for buck spec wise, imo they look as dull as anything, but you make like them. They have a number of stores around the country

Crandoggler

Absolutely Decathlon at that price point. You'll get fitted(ish), you'll get a good bike, you'll get a hell of a warranty and they're cheap as tits.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Absolutely Decathlon at that price point. You'll get fitted(ish), you'll get a good bike, you'll get a hell of a warranty and they're cheap as tits.
Where are you buying tits? :laugh:

But I agree, decathlon seems first choice there. Budget to buy new wheels sooner than usual (unless they've fixed that problem) but otherwise I've heard little bad.

Of the two named, the Calibre sounds better, but test ride both.

Crandoggler

Agree with the above. Wheels are awful, however, for an extra £50 or so you could get some R501 Shimano wheels.

OP
OP
G

Gary2408

Thanks for the advice also looking at the Merlin pr7 seems to get good review

OP
OP
G

Gary2408

Hi all
Thank you for the advice, decided to try out the Calidre yesterday, felt very light compared to my mountain bike but very comfortable, the spec seems pretty good for the price and bike was nice to ride, i decided to buy it and see how it fares over the next 12 mths, if the bug bites as I hope it will we will see how long it lasts.

Top Bottom