help!!!!!!!!!!! (please)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
There are not many places in the UK ( I presume the OP is in the UK ) where a cyclist can ride with their hands on the hoods or tops, giving 300+ Watts for 1 solid hour, standing up on the pedals occasionally and retain momentum when sitting back down on the saddle.

The gym bike is just the ticket.

I did say "A weekly hilly 'real' bike ride", which could be an Audax ride. This is where Midlands Mesh and DIYs come into their own because they can be done anytime.
The Audax season starts in November. A Brevet 1000 ( 10 x 100km ) and a Randonneur 500 ( 1 x 100 + 2 x 200 ) can be gained in the 09/10 season.

The OP's hubby is planning to climb a bugger of a hill.
TT's are based on aerodynamics and inertia in a 'tuck' riding position. Climbing is based on power and rythym at probably less than 10kmh for this gent.

If he wants to try a TT, thats up to him.
I would train in a more upright position with frequent 'out of the saddle' power intervals.

Quite unintentionally, I have suggested what Montage described as 'Mini goals' to build confidence, as well as stamina.:smile:

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
There are not many places in the UK ( I presume the OP is in the UK ) where a cyclist can ride with their hands on the hoods or tops, giving 300+ Watts for 1 solid hour, standing up on the pedals occasionally and retain momentum when sitting back down on the saddle.

The gym bike is just the ticket.

I did say "A weekly hilly 'real' bike ride", which could be an Audax ride. This is where Midlands Mesh and DIYs come into their own because they can be done anytime.
The Audax season starts in November. A Brevet 1000 ( 10 x 100km ) and a Randonneur 500 ( 1 x 100 + 2 x 200 ) can be gained in the 09/10 season.

The OP's hubby is planning to climb a bugger of a hill.
TT's are based on aerodynamics and inertia in a 'tuck' riding position. Climbing is based on power and rythym at probably less than 10kmh for this gent.

If he wants to try a TT, thats up to him.
I would train in a more upright position with frequent 'out of the saddle' power intervals.

I would have thought working up to doing 25 mile TT's would be good training for climbing. There is a trade off between 1) maintaining a low profile aero position and 2) sustaining power output in getting the optimum position and therefore the fastest combination.

It is putting out the power over an hour which is the key and the adrenaline from a race will help get the focus required. It will therefore become easier to produce that same power when climbing in the more upright position.

Riding at that level on a bike in the gym is very tough and I don't think I could do it nor would want to.

Jonathan M

UNBALANCEDWIFE said:
My husband, 53, weighs over 14 stone, wants to climb Mont Ventoux for his 55th birthday.

If he really wants to do it, then he'll put the training in. It would become evident in the months before whether he's done the training and whether this would be a realistic objective.

I'm 39, soon to be 40, weight 16st, recently diagnosed with a brain tumour & seizures and have harboured the same dream for a while. My wife has poo-poohed the idea of me riding up Ventoux a year to the day that my tumour was diagnosed (2nd June) but has agreed to it the following year. Currently I'm in the gym, starting easy rides. Prior to diagnosis I was riding 100+km reasonably hilly rides at weekends and going to spinning classes 2-3 times per week. If I can get back to that standard by the new year then I'll be happy and will plan for Ventoux in 2011.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I did Ventoux last year at the age of 53 (although I weighed 12 st) with my mate who was 63 and he did it in 2h 8m so your old man can definitely do it if he really wants to.

jimboalee

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/stealth-training-get-fit-on-the-sly-22867

Item No. 1. Find a stairmill.

Item No. 5. This is called 'Fasted lipolysis'.

Item No. 6. This is the same as Item 1, but with random stride length.

Item No. 10. My winter commute bike is 36lb of cast ( solid gold ) IRON.

Also read
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/training-easy-does-it-20916

You can measure your RHR with the second hand on your wristwatch.
In the gym, there are metal panels on the machine for Heart Rate.

There's plenty of good advice here for Unbalancedwife, but I sense that she'd like to try it with him. There are alternatives like trikes (I have one myself), which would get around her balance problem. I wonder whether she could actually ride a bike though - if you have enough balance to walk upright, then I reckon that cycling would not prove impossible given enough decent tuition. I reckon that she should look for a National Standards Instructor who could accept the challenge of getting her on a bike.

TVC

First thing, get him to his doctor and get a full MOT. Not fun, but he needs to know if anything needs monitoring as he moves towards his goal.

OP
OP
U

UNBALANCEDWIFE

Thank you all so, so much for your great advice, which I will go with. It all sounds v. positive. As for the cycling, well thanks, people. It's not that I can't ride I bike, I can. It's that my congenitally bad balance means that the slightest distraction (like traffic, dogs, children,someone walking towards me) engenders the wobbles and down I go. I ride a horse all the time but that has a leg at each corner. And the recumbent? Nah, at the risk of incurring the wrath of you dear cyclists, that just looks damn silly. If anyone has seen the lovely film "Belleville Rendezvous" my role will be to be the little old lady driving behind blowing my whistle furiously! Again many thanks.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There's a limit to how much he can do on his own. He should substitute cycling for car or train on a regular (preferably daily basis) but, in addition train with a club or with a group. Part of that training will be mental, and part of it will be to gain technique in order to ride more efficiently (and pleasurably). There is far more to cycling than physical effort.

And, before he gets too stuck in his ways, or, possibly, disheartened he should think about the bike, and get one that will do the job. Riding with other people will be valuable in this respect.

Where are you based? It may well be that he'll climb through different clubs or groups. He might start with his local CTC section, and, should he, at some time in the future, find that it's all a bit too relaxed, then he should be on the lookout for a road club. He might find that the CTCers are, on average, a bit older than him, but don't let that put him off - there's a lot of experience there, and if he watches some of these old boys and girls get along at 13mph all day, he'll learn a lot about cycling efficiently.

I'm afraid that you might find the whole thing completely tedious. Middle-aged men re-discovering lost vigour, nattering about targets, buying embarrassing kit, and assembling greasy bike bits in the kitchen can be a trial. Bear in mind that the dishevelled lump that fell asleep in the sofa one glass of red wine after returning home from a day out with a bunch of people that barely bother with conversation is the man you married for love. And don't forget we're here from you when you're on the verge of throwing his sweaty lycra in the bin...

knackeredknees

I'm 44 years old, weigh about 17 stone and the farthest I've ever cycled is 10 miles, but it would be great to cycle up Mount Ventoux and chuck your cap on Tom Simpson's memorial. Good luck to your husband. :evil:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
montage said:
Break it down into mini goals - get him into the local cycling club, convince him to try out the time trials. Get him on here!

Losing weight will benefit him to no end aswell, less weight = less work to do. So put him on a brilliant diet and into a cycling club :evil: The rest will take care of itself

that is sound advice, although time trialling is optional. if the club takes in some hilly club runs, they'll be good training. he's also likely to meet someone who's done ventoux or some of the other tour nasties, who'll be able to pass on advice.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'll also add, as someone who came back to cycling after a long lay-off (similarly fatter and less fit as a result), that he'll find it easy enough to get back into, although it will take a lot of miles, starting with small distances, until he's back to where he was before. i'd imagine that if he could do the sort of milage as outlined in the op, he could have had a crack at the ventoux with a suitable bike anyway.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
With regard to the OP, there are people offering cycle training for adults which includes confidence and safety on the road - I'm one of these instructors! I also second the option of getting a recumbent trike if she has balance issues. Mind you, a trike up Ventoux would be very hard work...

ASC1951

Guru
UNBALANCEDWIFE said:
And the recumbent? Nah, at the risk of incurring the wrath of you dear cyclists, that just looks damn silly.
:ohmy: If TubbyHubby can do the training, surely you have time to sew cleats on to a pair of sandals and grow a beard?

If anyone has seen the lovely film "Belleville Rendezvous" my role will be to be the little old lady driving behind blowing my whistle furiously!
Or how about one of these? http://www.whpva.org/chapters/france/phototheque/jpm/3roues/Rickshaw.html
Fit him up with the full biometric monitors - pulse, cadence, blood pressure and temperature, Alive/Not Alive meter - then he can knock 50% off his training mileage while you sit in the back with the readout bellowing instructions at him.

Top Bottom