help - re child bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
Hi,
My brother in law has asked me whether I could help with finding my nephew a bike!

Brother in law knows that I love (and have refurbished a few ) "classic" steel bikes.
Nephew is seven years old and has 23" inside leg.

My first thought was an old Childs racer; but more thought on the matter has made think that a mountain bike may be a more sensible option - straight bars and gear change easily accessible. Preferably no suspension - I would have no idea about servicing these :smile:, also some of the bikes with fork and frame suspension are just so heavy.
What size frame/wheels? My nephew is growing so quickly.
Looking for something inexpensive - So many questions, any similar experiences?

Any ideas gratefully accepted - it is a whole new experience for me (in my youth it was just any old bike was special :bicycle:).
Thanks in advance.

What's the budget?

I'm a petite lady with a 27" inside leg and rider of junior bikes (road, hybrid & MTB). I'd guess you'd be looking at frames & wheels a size down from what I've got. So something along the lines of a Wiggins Chartres 24 hybrid might do it if you're looking for something more up to date. I have the original 26 inch wheel (13 inch frame) version, and it's a good all-round performer. Trek & Frog might be worth a looksy if you can find a good one used.

Failing that, a good old-school rigid steel MTB like a late 90's Raleigh Max might do the trick. You might be looking at the 20-inch wheeled one there, as the frame on the 24 inch wheel is bigger and with a different geometry to the Chartres, although the stand-over height is much the same. The frame on the Max is pretty decent, but the componentry is a bit bargain basement.

I picked up a 24 inch wheeled Max last year and gave it a complete makeover - new wheelset, 8 speed rear cassette (had to cold set the rear triangle), touring triple, trigger shifters, ergon grips, commuter tyres etc. Mind, that sort of level of refurb probably isn't worth it on a bike that'll be outgrown within a year or two...

The Max isn't the lightest of bikes and a bit staid on tarmac (tyre pressures are a bit of a compromise here), but it's great fun on gravel and dirt. Oh yeah, and I took the godawful decals off.

I used to have a stable of kids bikes for visiting friends. I would pick them up for pennies at car boot sales. The best style is a lightweight non suspension mtb from a reputable bike brand with a suitable wheel size so it is not too big but has growing room. The Vitus 24" above looks good. These quality bikes hold their value well can be sold at no loss later.

https://www.islabikes.co.uk/pages/sizing-advice
24" is about the right size. 20" would fit better right now but has little growing room.

Avoid any bike which seems heavy, any with fat tubes esp fat tubes made of steel and esp ones that look like suspension mtb but are not.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have found that bikes for kids this age are pretty transient so anything serviceable and the right size is ok, so long as it meets the kid’s approval. I bought used MTBs off of Facebook Marketplace for mine, I went for a decent brand but on all of them I replaced the twistgrip shifters for trigger type. I then sold them on via Marketplace for near enough what I paid for them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have found that bikes for kids this age are pretty transient so anything serviceable and the right size is ok, so long as it meets the kid’s approval. I bought used MTBs off of Facebook Marketplace for mine, I went for a decent brand but on all of them I replaced the twistgrip shifters for trigger type. I then sold them on via Marketplace for near enough what I paid for them.
mini ck 1 insisted on a heavy full susser because he liked the colour , the main thing is the kid enjoys riding and likes the bike

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
At that age, a Carrera MTB or hybrid. Cheap as chips, seemingly millions of them available so lots of choice, and they're perfectly decent bikes, very good bikes actually. He'll have grown out of it next year anyway.

Gillstay

Über Member
If they are expecting the child to ride any distance, then get an Isla bike. S/H is good as they are well put together and it does the child a lot of favours. Been riding with a 12 yr old today and on any of his bikes I can beat him in a sprint, but get him on his Isla bike and he beats me.
They are just well set up for kids. He loves is and so do i as I service it and its easy.

Top Bottom