Help required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mfb50

The more I read the more confused I become. I am looking to buy a bike that will be suitable to ride on tarmac in towns but also ride on forest paths and the like. I had assumed that a hybrid was appropriate without front suspension. Every time I come close to close to identifying a suitable contender I come across a comment on a forum that suggests that it will not satisfy my requirement, is poorly made or is overpriced. I would not want to spend much more than £500.

Help please

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum

You are correct in identifying a hybrid as a suitable for such a task and five hundred quid should get you a very respectable one. Its a fiercely competitive market at that price point so you shouldn't get anything over priced.

Firstly don't believe everything you read on the internet! Hybrids cone in various 'flavours' but just about any would suit the task you want it for, tarmac and trails. Which do you think you'll spend more time on? At the speedier end a bike with 28-32c tyres will be more suited to the road and bikes with wider 35-42c tyres are more suited to off road situations, both will cross over but wider tyres will feel more comfortable on tracks, but a bit slower on the road, but not by much.

I suggest you get down to a good bike shop and try a few, a good one should be able to give you knowledgeable advice. A local shop is always handy should you experience any problems, rather than ordering on the net. They will also be able to find the correct size for you. Any of the major brands are good, Specialized, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Merida, Jamis etc. Shops will tend to concentrate on two or three, larger stores more.

Good luck. Any other questions just ask.

Last edited:
A hybrid without suspension will certainly be up to the job , or if you prefer drop handle bars then look at a cx or gravel bike
you can certainly get something up to the job with your budget. where abouts in the country are you

OP
OP
M

mfb50

I'm on the south coast.

The latest bike that has attracted me is the Pinnicle Lithium 4. What do you think?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The Lithium 4 is more MTB than roadie with its wide 42c tyres so should be able to handle the rough stuff as well as tarmac and give a comfortable ride onto the bargain. Disc brakes will give you great all weather stopping.

Its Evans own brand so you won't find it elsewhere.

Top Bottom