Help reviewing route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Se7enUK

I have spent hours and hours putting together a route for our reliability ride. I have also put in a description, signs and other items on every turn.

I would appreciate if you could spare a couple of minutes to have a look and see what you think. Please be honest and anything else you think I may be able to add to make the route a success and easier for people to follow please let me know..

Many thanks for your time.

http://www.lincsquad.co.uk/relaibility_ride_100.php

Young Un

Just had a look. It looks fantastic! Looks like a lot of hard work has gone into , give your self a pat on the back. Instructions are very clear and easy to follow, and the information about what you are going past is a very nice feature. Well done!!

Herlihy

Über Member
This is brilliant

I started doing audaxes a few weeks ago. It amazes me how rubbish the guidance is . Maps please, or something akin to this. Why do people find joy in making things difficult

spinningspen

lincolnshire reliability ride

Yes,this looks great.The latter half of the route looks tough but with decent weather,this should be a great day out!!
Thanks for all your hard work in preparing the route....and yes,much better than Audax routing.

OP
OP
Se7enUK

Se7enUK

Thanks for all the positive responses, it has taken some time but I am hoping that the route becomes know and other people get some enjoyment out of it. I am also looking at doing various route cards that you can use to start at different locations.

Keep the comments and ideas coming.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The addition of colour and graphics to the description helps a lot, as does the mapmyride. It's just a bit easier on the eyes/brain than plain text.

Sadly I'll not be doing it but hope the event goes well.

Greenbank

Über Member
Herlihy said:
I started doing audaxes a few weeks ago. It amazes me how rubbish the guidance is . Maps please, or something akin to this. Why do people find joy in making things difficult

One of the tenets of Audax is self-sufficiency. There used to be one Audax where all you were given were the control locations, you had to pick your own roads/route between them. I've been on a couple of Audaxes where one road on the planned route was closed (only happened on the day of the ride) and you had to find your own detour.

You get the routesheet in advance by post so you can change it in any way you want. I guess I'm just used to them now. Not knocking Se7enUK's hard work, but I find the instructions above far too busy and much prefer the simple brief "2nd L $ Great Botherington", "SO @ X", "L @ T", etc. The fact that many people complete Audaxes with these brief instructions is proof enough that they work. Most people go off route because they get distracted by chatting to someone and miss a turn.

Anyway, I don't bother with routesheets any more as I plot the route on bikely and upload it to the GPS and just follow the arrow. (I do carry a copy of the routesheet and a 1:250,000 map of the area just in case things don't all go according to plan.)

A link to the route plotted in bikely (or the GPX download link that has been provided) is also very useful.

OP
OP
Se7enUK

Se7enUK

Greenbank said:
One of the tenets of Audax is self-sufficiency. There used to be one Audax where all you were given were the control locations, you had to pick your own roads/route between them. I've been on a couple of Audaxes where one road on the planned route was closed (only happened on the day of the ride) and you had to find your own detour.

You get the routesheet in advance by post so you can change it in any way you want. I guess I'm just used to them now. Not knocking Se7enUK's hard work, but I find the instructions above far too busy and much prefer the simple brief "2nd L $ Great Botherington", "SO @ X", "L @ T", etc. The fact that many people complete Audaxes with these brief instructions is proof enough that they work. Most people go off route because they get distracted by chatting to someone and miss a turn.

Anyway, I don't bother with routesheets any more as I plot the route on bikely and upload it to the GPS and just follow the arrow. (I do carry a copy of the routesheet and a 1:250,000 map of the area just in case things don't all go according to plan.)

A link to the route plotted in bikely (or the GPX download link that has been provided) is also very useful.

Hi Greenbank,

Cheers for your in depth comments, I have learned some new stuff as I have come from a Road Racing background. I like the short brief notes as well and will also add these as an optional download when I get time to do them.
I also had a look at Bikely (never seen it before) and it looks good but I am struggling to create a route use a GPX file. Any help here would be much appreciated. The GPX file is located at

http://www.lincsquad.co.uk/gpx/Reliability_Ride_Lincsquad.gpx
(you have to right click and save target at the moment)

I use a Garmin to record where I have been but the 305 does not navigate (or if it does I have not got that far with the destructions yet) and yes I think technology has leapt forward at an amazing pace.

The other reason I wanted to create such a comprehensive guide is so people can have a look afterwards and find out names of places and look at photos etc. I am also looking at adding a few video clips of some of the climbs and views.

Greenbank

Über Member
I have a non-mapping GPS too (the basic yellow Garmin eTrex). If you're following a pre-determined route then you don't need mapping. (You do need mapping, or a paper map, if you come across a closed road or need to find the nearest station etc).

I create a route using bikely.com placing one point where you'd have a routesheet instruction (i.e. every junction or place where you turn off your current road). You need to turn off the "auto follow road" option otherwise it adds hundreds of extra points along the road.

You then need to name each point individually with the instruction and there's a 6 character limit and they must be unique! So I use two digits for a unique number, a space, then 3 characters for the instruction (R, L, SO, SOX, KR, BL, E3, LiR, etc which correspond to Right, Left, Straight On, Straight On At Cross-roads, Keep Right, Bear Left (usually at a Y or triangle), Exit 3 of roundabout, Left Immediately Right).

It gets a bit tricky to get this converted to a route of routepoints (rather than a track of trackpoints plus waypoints) but it's possible within Garmin Mapsource.

An example would be this ride: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/167493 which is my usual training route round the Surrey Hills.

Once uploaded you tell the GPS to follow the route and put it on the big arrow/compass navigation page and it tells you what to do. In 4km or so, "L", and so you ride on for 4km. The distance to junction counts down until you get there and the arrow should swing over to point left, you turn left, and it moves on to the next point telling you how far it is.

This isn't the only way to use a non-mapping GPS. Many people use a track filtered down to 500 points and play the follow the arrow game.

There are lots of other tips/tricks with this but if you try it out you'll get used to it. There are certain limitations (120 points per route) and you need to split circular routes up otherwise it will point you to the finish when starting, rather than the route out.

Nuncio

Über Member
That is very impressive. You must have spent ages doing it. I was brought up in Gainsborough, and my Mum lives in Willingham so I know a fair bit of your ride.

Coincidentally, the provisional London Edinburgh London Audax route for this July has been published recently and the Southbound part matches 4 or 5 miles with yours, from Upton to Sturton by Stow. The LEL instructions are:

Interval km,Instruction, Road, Stage km, Overall km
0.4, UPTON, R : T, High St, 44, 439
1.1, L : T, B1241, 45, 440
6.3, Left : T, A1500, 52, 446

but formatted (slightly) better than that. And you don't get any pictures either! The whole of the 687km of the Edinburgh/London half is covered by 256 instructions.

I hope the weather improves. I'd like to join you but I doubt I could match your pace. Enjoy the ride.

Herlihy

Über Member
Sorry Greenbank , but those short directions are too fussy and if you miss one turn or more because you are chatting , and it's that social side of audaxes impress me, then you are stuffed. Just give me the directions on a map. The technology is there now. Let me work out if it's R at TJ or SO at X. That's self sufficiency

OP
OP
Se7enUK

Se7enUK

Nuncio said:
That is very impressive. You must have spent ages doing it. I was brought up in Gainsborough, and my Mum lives in Willingham so I know a fair bit of your ride.

Coincidentally, the provisional London Edinburgh London Audax route for this July has been published recently and the Southbound part matches 4 or 5 miles with yours, from Upton to Sturton by Stow. The LEL instructions are:

Interval km,Instruction, Road, Stage km, Overall km
0.4, UPTON, R : T, High St, 44, 439
1.1, L : T, B1241, 45, 440
6.3, Left : T, A1500, 52, 446

but formatted (slightly) better than that. And you don't get any pictures either! The whole of the 687km of the Edinburgh/London half is covered by 256 instructions.

I hope the weather improves. I'd like to join you but I doubt I could match your pace. Enjoy the ride.

Cheers for that I wanted to do the LEL but it filled up quickly, so it looks like we are going to the LeJOG via quieter roads 1100mls.
I am sure you will be fine with the pace on our ride as we have a big mix of abilities.

OP
OP
Se7enUK

Se7enUK

Greenbank said:
I have a non-mapping GPS too (the basic yellow Garmin eTrex). If you're following a pre-determined route then you don't need mapping. (You do need mapping, or a paper map, if you come across a closed road or need to find the nearest station etc).

I create a route using bikely.com placing one point where you'd have a routesheet instruction (i.e. every junction or place where you turn off your current road). You need to turn off the "auto follow road" option otherwise it adds hundreds of extra points along the road.

You then need to name each point individually with the instruction and there's a 6 character limit and they must be unique! So I use two digits for a unique number, a space, then 3 characters for the instruction (R, L, SO, SOX, KR, BL, E3, LiR, etc which correspond to Right, Left, Straight On, Straight On At Cross-roads, Keep Right, Bear Left (usually at a Y or triangle), Exit 3 of roundabout, Left Immediately Right).

It gets a bit tricky to get this converted to a route of routepoints (rather than a track of trackpoints plus waypoints) but it's possible within Garmin Mapsource.

An example would be this ride: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/167493 which is my usual training route round the Surrey Hills.

Once uploaded you tell the GPS to follow the route and put it on the big arrow/compass navigation page and it tells you what to do. In 4km or so, "L", and so you ride on for 4km. The distance to junction counts down until you get there and the arrow should swing over to point left, you turn left, and it moves on to the next point telling you how far it is.

This isn't the only way to use a non-mapping GPS. Many people use a track filtered down to 500 points and play the follow the arrow game.

There are lots of other tips/tricks with this but if you try it out you'll get used to it. There are certain limitations (120 points per route) and you need to split circular routes up otherwise it will point you to the finish when starting, rather than the route out.

Aggh I see what you mean, will start to have a play as this would be useful when trying new rides in new places as a backup. Cheers for that.

Top Bottom