Help! Roberts Frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this frame. Here are some objective facts.

49cm steel.
Road brakes.
Cable guides for front and rear mechs.
2 x bottle cages.
Roberts dropouts.
No rack mounts on forks.

Other observations.

Looks wrong fitted with 700c wheels.

IMG_20230628_175219.jpg

Frame feels quite robust.

The frame has a very short head tube and horizontal top tube.

IMG_20230628_175423.jpg

IMG_20230628_175255.jpg

IMG_20230628_175413.jpg

Serial number on bb shell reads 1092

Thanks in advance

Edit: Rear spacing is 130mm

midlife

Guru
Look a like a small Roberts road frame. Nice, not sure what else to add, apart from maybe 10th Frame 1992

goldcoastjon

I ride frames about that size and it looks normal to me. Why do you say it "looks wrong" with 700Cs? It seems normal for that size from the photos for a 1980s-1990s frame. What are the brake drop measurements front and rear (vertical distance, CTC, from the brake bolt hole to the rim center)?

The model name ("MultiSport") and the fact that your rear clearance is 130mm also tend to reinforce the 700C wheel size, although you *might* have a frame that was designed to also accommodate 650A (narrow road tires, slightly smaller than 700Cs) or 650B (wider) wheels.

The brake drop measurement will tell all - or at least most. ;-)
If the shop that sold the bike/frame originally is still around you could also ask them.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'd assume you want to deal with the rust patches, unless you intend refinishing it. You might just get a good match in that shade in a nail polish.
That chainstay spacing near the BB looks quite generous. Trying to figure out what 'Multi Sport' might refer to?

Last edited:
OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
I ride frames about that size and it looks normal to me. Why do you say it "looks wrong" with 700Cs? It seems normal for that size from the photos for a 1980s-1990s frame. What are the brake drop measurements front and rear (vertical distance, CTC, from the brake bolt hole to the rim center)?

The model name ("MultiSport") and the fact that your rear clearance is 130mm also tend to reinforce the 700C wheel size, although you *might* have a frame that was designed to also accommodate 650A (narrow road tires, slightly smaller than 700Cs) or 650B (wider) wheels.

The brake drop measurement will tell all - or at least most. ;-)
If the shop that sold the bike/frame originally is still around you could also ask them.

Well, it's reassuring that it looks normal to you. I'll try fitting some short reach brake calipers.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
@8mph have you contacted Roberts to see if they have any extra details i think there's a face book page for Roberts

Looks at home on 700's to me

@biggs682
Thanks, I'll take a look. In any case, build is underway!

16879801569094969267954483653123.jpg

Top Bottom